[comp.sys.mac.system] What is Radius SANE Init?

sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin) (11/23/90)

The system folder of the mac II I use at work contains an init called
Radius Sane (version 1.2).  Does anyone out there know what this init
does?  The machine has an Apple 13" RGB with Apple video card and so
far as I know never had a Radius Monitor attached.  Like every other
mac II, it has an fpu and I recently stuck a PMMU into the machine to
run virtual, but in anycase, the radius init predates the PMMU.

Thanks for the info,
Steve
DOMAIN: sbchanin@ai.mit.edu
USMAIL: Steven Chanin, 1010 Mass Ave #57, Cambridge, Ma 02138
PHONE : (617) 876-1950

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (11/24/90)

sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin) writes:

>The system folder of the mac II I use at work contains an init called
>Radius Sane (version 1.2).  Does anyone out there know what this init
>does?  The machine has an Apple 13" RGB with Apple video card and so
>far as I know never had a Radius Monitor attached.  Like every other
>mac II, it has an fpu and I recently stuck a PMMU into the machine to
>run virtual, but in anycase, the radius init predates the PMMU.

>Thanks for the info,
>Steve
>--
>DOMAIN: sbchanin@ai.mit.edu
>USMAIL: Steven Chanin, 1010 Mass Ave #57, Cambridge, Ma 02138
>PHONE : (617) 876-1950

Many Mac applications which take advantage of FPUs send instructions to
them directly (for example, MS Excel and Odesta DataDesk).  Others use the
Standard Apple Numeric Environment, which provides the less-efficient but
cleaner or more politically-correct way of doing this.  The Radius SANE INIT
intercepts SANE calls and uses its own routines to call the FPU directly.
Radius states that this significantly raises the efficiency of SANE-using
programs' utilization of the FPU on its accelerator boards.  Whether the INIT
has any positive or negative effect on a machine equipped with an FPU not
from Radius (such as a stock Mac II) I have no idea.  Maybe some programmers
or hardware people out there would care to clarify.

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (11/27/90)

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:

}Many Mac applications which take advantage of FPUs send instructions to
}them directly (for example, MS Excel and Odesta DataDesk).  Others use the
}Standard Apple Numeric Environment, which provides the less-efficient but
}cleaner or more politically-correct way of doing this.  The Radius SANE INIT
}intercepts SANE calls and uses its own routines to call the FPU directly.
}Radius states that this significantly raises the efficiency of SANE-using
}programs' utilization of the FPU on its accelerator boards.

Nice explanation!  :-)  The most recent versions of this init are actually
called "Radius MATH" (I heard someone didn't like us calling it _SANE_ :-)
and the current version is 1.4.  Version 1.4 fixes some rounding problems that
people had with 1.3 or earlier versions, and was released over a year ago.

}Whether the INIT has any positive or negative effect on a machine equipped
}with an FPU not from Radius (such as a stock Mac II) I have no idea.

Yes, it will work on any Mac with an FPU (68881 or 68882).  We ship it with
all of our displays and accelerators, and it is automatically installed by
the Radius Installer if an FPU is detected (whether it is on the motherboard
or on a Radius accelerator board).  Hope this helps...

Steve
--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- "I'm not a UNIX wizard, but I play the Postmaster at radius.com." -----