[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 question

jfmjfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu (John Mansfield) (11/20/90)

Does anyone know if system 7 will support virtual memory on removable hard
disks like Syquests or optical/floptical drives?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

John Mansfield.

trottiers@yvax.byu.edu (11/21/90)

JM> Does anyone know if system 7 will support virtual memory on removable
JM> hard disks like Syquests or optical/floptical drives?
JM>
JM> Inquiring minds would like to know.

I believe that system 7 looks on the volume that contains your system folder
for disk space for virtual memory.  So, if you can boot from your drive, you
should be able to use it for virtual memory.

* Steve Trottier           * AOL:   STrottier            *
* Internet:                * Sysop, Mainly Macintosh BBS *
* trottiers@yvax.byu.edu   *        (801) 374-5438       *

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (11/22/90)

In article <1829trottiers@yvax.byu.edu> trottiers@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>JM> Does anyone know if system 7 will support virtual memory on removable
>JM> hard disks like Syquests or optical/floptical drives?
>JM>
>JM> Inquiring minds would like to know.
>
>I believe that system 7 looks on the volume that contains your system folder
>for disk space for virtual memory.  So, if you can boot from your drive, you
>should be able to use it for virtual memory.

  Actually, you can specify which volume you want the backing store (or
VM storage, or whatever it's being called) to be located through the Memory
control panel.  However, I don't know if it will list ejectable volumes.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu
Patches 'R' Us                     | Real-mail: Dean Yu
A Division of Cyberite Systems     |            909 Church St Apt C
                                   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
I'm not the voice of Reason, much  | Phone:     313 662-4073
    less the voice of Cyberite.    |            313 662-4163

thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) (11/22/90)

From article <1990Nov20.141717.24943@engin.umich.edu>, by jfmjfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu (John Mansfield):
> Does anyone know if system 7 will support virtual memory on removable hard
> disks like Syquests or optical/floptical drives?
>
> Inquiring minds would like to know.
>
> John Mansfield.

I cannot answer your question exactly, but this might help too:
-Although I don't know whether System 7 will support swap files on removables,
 I do know that Virtual (Virtual Memory Manager by Connectix) can do this
 already.
-A few days ago I read on the net that Apple promised to support Virtual
 as an alternative to its own VMM under System 7.
So what you want should be possible. I suggest you ask Connectix and Apple
for details. :-)

Thomas.

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (11/23/90)

In article <1135@duteca.UUCP> thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) writes:
>-A few days ago I read on the net that Apple promised to support Virtual
> as an alternative to its own VMM under System 7.
>So what you want should be possible. I suggest you ask Connectix and Apple
>for details. :-)
>
>Thomas.

I doubt that Apple promised to support Virtual. However, I do know that Connectix has promised to make Virtual work under System 7.0.
                        Jack

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (11/24/90)

In article <1135@duteca.UUCP> thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) writes:
>-Although I don't know whether System 7 will support swap files on removables,
> I do know that Virtual (Virtual Memory Manager by Connectix) can do this

Hmm, interesting.

What happens when you remove the removable?  How can it then swap memory back
in?

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov23.192623.8978@rodan.acs.syr.edu> rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:
>In article <1135@duteca.UUCP> thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) writes:
>>-Although I don't know whether System 7 will support swap files on removables
>> I do know that Virtual (Virtual Memory Manager by Connectix) can do this
>What happens when you remove the removable?  How can it then swap memory back
>in?

Presumably the same thing that happens with any other needed disk.
("Please Insert...") They *must* have thought of this!
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| Until you stalk and overrun,	     	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|  you can't devour anyone. -- Hobbes 	      |

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (11/27/90)

I'm writting this note on a IIcx with 16 Meg. memory and Maxima (from Virtual).
This morning I had Mathmatica, Word 4.0 and a large (>5 Meg.) Smalltalk
application all running at the same time under MultiFinder.  Context switching
was FAST. And the system is solid.

Now remember that MultiFinder only gives a maximum of 8 Meg to any one
application, but under Finder, my Smalltalk (ParcPlace) application enjoys the
use of memory above the 8 Meg boundry where ROM lives.  A real plus.

Ken Warner

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov20.141717.24943@engin.umich.edu> jfmjfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu (John Mansfield) writes:
>Does anyone know if system 7 will support virtual memory on removable hard
>disks like Syquests or optical/floptical drives?

In general, no.  A driver for one of these forms of media, however,
could be written to allow it.

--
Edward Jung
Microsoft Corp.

My opinions do not reflect any policy of my employer.