[comp.sys.mac.system] Dove MacSnap Memory upgrade vs. Hard Disks

michaelg@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael Greenwald) (11/27/90)

I bought a 2Meg upgrade with SCSI port for my old "original" Mac to
extend its life.  For a while this worked perfectly.  Then I bought a
hard drive (80Mb EMAC Metro).

The first problem was because the Dove SCSI board didn't connect all
of the SCSI control lines.  I had to add a jumper to even get the drive
to mount.  Now it mounts, and on the surface appears to work fine.

But occassionally the disk just hangs.  I tried it out in a computer
store with other disks, and it experiences the same problems, so I
don't belieive it is the fault of the drive.  (which seems to work
fine when connected to other computers).  The two most common
offending programs are Word and Excel (Excel 2.2 *never* works - it
always hangs, I had to back off to 1.5), although other programs have
experienced similar problems but much more rarely.  These programs
work fine when the hard drive is shut off and I have both the System
and Excel (or Word) on floppies.  But this is intolerable (even with
the system living in a RAM disk, the swapping of floppies is a pain
(Excel 2.2 doesn't fit on the same 800K disk as my spreadsheets!, and
I won't be able to use Help or Spelling dictionaries or anything...)

Removing all Inits doesn't solve the problem.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?  Is there a
possiblity that the fact that there is a 512KE logic board instead of
a Mac Plus logic board making a difference?  I'm running System 6.0.5
and had >no< problems in the floppy only configuration.

Thank you for any help.  If you want to email the response, that is
fine.

boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) (11/28/90)

I had this same problem a few years back when I bought a 2meg Dove memory
board and Dove SCSI board for my 512KE.  If I remember right there was
a fix for the Dove SCSI board that I got from Dove.  It consisted of a
little socket thingy (I can't remember what it was called) that plugged
between one the Mac ROMs and the Dove SCSI daugher board.  This fixed my
problem completely.  Call Dove and ask for it.

Hope this helped,
Dan

michaelg@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael Greenwald) (11/28/90)

boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) writes:

>I had this same problem a few years back when I bought a 2meg Dove memory
>board and Dove SCSI board for my 512KE.  If I remember right there was
>a fix for the Dove SCSI board that I got from Dove.  It consisted of a
>little socket thingy (I can't remember what it was called) that plugged
>between one the Mac ROMs and the Dove SCSI daugher board.  This fixed my
>problem completely.  Call Dove and ask for it.

>Hope this helped,
>Dan

Actually I did this much earlier.  In my original message I thought I
described how I attached the jumper between the SCSI board and the
Dove daughter board.  This was necessary to even >mount< the disk.

The problem I >was< having (note past tense - someone helped me solve
it last night) was that the system would hang forever.  It turned out
that there were timing problems in Dove's SCSI arbitration, so the MAC
was convinced that someone else took control of the SCSI bus and would
hang forever.  The fix is to patch the system code to always assume
that the Mac wins the arbitration (assuming you have no SCSI devices
that *do* actually want to take control - I don't).  I haven't had a
problem since then.