[comp.sys.mac.system] LaserPrinters

v119mb9h@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Phillip C Ng) (11/17/90)

I need some opinions from you guys out there.  Which laserprinter
do you prefer, the PLP II from GCC Technologies or the DeskWriter
from Hewett Packett.  Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Phillip Ng
v119mb9h@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
v119mb9h@ubvms.bitnet

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (11/19/90)

In article <46772@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119mb9h@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I need some opinions from you guys out there.  Which laserprinter
>do you prefer, the PLP II from GCC Technologies or the DeskWriter
>from Hewett Packett.  Any comments would be helpful.
>Thanks in advance.

Quality...PLP II is much superior.
Price...Deskwriter

I just bought a PLP II used (to get rid of the price problem).
For _ALL_ the specifics, check out the Issue of MacUser (about 2 monthes ago)
that reviews these two and the Apple Personal LaserWriter SC.
If you can afford it, you probably want the PLP II.
If you're low on money, find one used or buy a deskwriter.

Late Note(rumor):
	the rumored "new non water soluable ink" for the deskwriter supposedly
	has been taken off the market.

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

davidl@isc.intel.com (David Levine) (11/27/90)

>>I need some opinions from you guys out there.  Which laserprinter
>>do you prefer, the PLP II from GCC Technologies or the DeskWriter
>>from Hewett Packett.  Any comments would be helpful.

The DeskWriter is not a laser printer.  It's an ink jet printer.  This has
its good and bad points.

>Late Note(rumor):
>	the rumored "new non water soluable ink" for the deskwriter supposedly
>	has been taken off the market.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor?

- David D. Levine, Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
  davidl@isc.intel.com (formerly davidl@leonardo.intel.com)
  "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding."

robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) (11/30/90)

>>i>
> the rumored "new non water soluble ink" for the deskwriter supposedly
> has been taken off the market.

NO!
There is absolutely no truth to this.  This ink is still and will continue
to be on the market.  The old ink (the stuff that did smear when wet) is
being taken off (when its gone, its gone), but the new ink is here to stay.

Bob Taylor
HP Vancouver