[comp.sys.mac.system] How to obtain A/UX 2.0?

jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) (11/21/90)

I'm curious.  I'll probabl get A/UX one of these days, but how?  None
of the discount places carry it of course and the University
bookstores I've contacted don't seem to carry it either.  The discount
mail-order places of course do not carry it, but then neither do the
University stores that I've talked to.  Do I need to go directly to
APDA for this?  Yuk that probably means its going to be expensive.
And how much is this A/UX 2.0 anyway?

--
ORGANIZATION:  Advanced Decision Systems   GEOGRAPHIC: Arlington, VA
UUCP:          kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu  INTERNET:   jtn@potomac.ads.com

ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (11/21/90)

In article <AZ|^%3#@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:

>Do I need to go directly to APDA for this?

I don't believe APDA can sell it to you, either.  As far as I know, the only
way to get A/UX is through an authorized Apple dealer.  The price depends on
what medium you get it on.  The CD-ROM version is fairly reasonable (don't
remember exactly, but something like $500 to $700 seems to stick in my mind).
Of course, you still have to buy an 80 Mb hard disk to put it on, but at least
you don't have to worry about making backups.  I didn't count the price of the
CD-ROM drive, because I think it's worth getting whether you want A/UX or not.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (11/22/90)

In article <16258@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) writes:
|> In article <AZ|^%3#@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:
|>
|> >Do I need to go directly to APDA for this?
|>
|> I don't believe APDA can sell it to you, either.  As far as I know, the only
|> way to get A/UX is through an authorized Apple dealer.

I think you are right - but I wonder why APDA doesn't sell it. I can
understand that they wouldn't want to sell versions installed on a complete
system by mail order, but why not on CD ROM or diskette? Odd.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

gerson@parc.xerox.com (Dan Gerson) (11/29/90)

In article <16258@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) writes:
|> In article <AZ|^%3#@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:
|>
|> >Do I need to go directly to APDA for this?
|>
|> I don't believe APDA can sell it to you, either.  As far as I know, the only
|> way to get A/UX is through an authorized Apple dealer.

Try Maya Computer, 800-541-2318, for A/UX.  I haven't done this myself,
but I've heard that they carry it and recall seeing it in an ad in the back
of MacWeek some time ago.

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (11/30/90)

In article <GERSON.90Nov28164129@dupin.parc.xerox.com> gerson@parc.xerox.com (Dan Gerson) writes:
#>In article <16258@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) writes:
#>|> In article <AZ|^%3#@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:
#>|>
#>|> >Do I need to go directly to APDA for this?
#>|>
#>|> I don't believe APDA can sell it to you, either.  As far as I know, the only
#>|> way to get A/UX is through an authorized Apple dealer.
#>
#>Try Maya Computer, 800-541-2318, for A/UX.  I haven't done this myself,
#>but I've heard that they carry it and recall seeing it in an ad in the back
#>of MacWeek some time ago.

Why would someone with an Email address at Stanford buy from
a private dealer when he is presumably eligible for the much
cheaper university prices?

Steve Goldfield
College of Engineering
UC Berkeley

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.161826.9850@agate.berkeley.edu> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>Why would someone with an Email address at Stanford buy from
>a private dealer when he is presumably eligible for the much
>cheaper university prices?

Because the computer center at Stanford is probably as short sighted as the
Microcenter here at UT; we don't sell AUX.

Why, you ask?  Many reasons, but foremost are:

1) they would have to support it, because they want to support everything they
sell.  Of course, they don't support HP printers, which they used to sell...

2) the Computation Center handles all Unix things.  Of course, the CC doesn't
sell things, and the Microcenter sells Next machines, but Mach isn't REAL Unix
in the eyes of the Microcenter, I guess.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

"Mad scientists HATE shopping for shoes!" -- Peaches

In article <98@victoria.cs.utexas.edu> ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
[...]
#>--
#>Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Strange. UC Berkeley's Scholar's WorkStation, which sells
Apple products, sells A/UX at a discounted price.

Steve Goldfield

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (11/30/90)

In article <98@victoria.cs.utexas.edu>, ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
|> In article <1990Nov29.161826.9850@agate.berkeley.edu> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
|> >Why would someone with an Email address at Stanford buy from
|> >a private dealer when he is presumably eligible for the much
|> >cheaper university prices?
|>
|> Because the computer center at Stanford is probably as short sighted as the
|> Microcenter here at UT; we don't sell AUX.
Actually, Stanford is not that bad. You can get AUX through the bookstore. It's
just not obvious - you have to ask for the price list.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu