[comp.sys.mac.system] System 6.0.x version differences

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (11/30/90)

In the interests of promoting more informed discussion on the subject,
I thought I'd assemble a list of the important changes between
different versions of System 6.0.x. I invite comment, additions
and corrections.

The notes for each new release include pages and pages of bug fixes.
There are far too many of these for me to mention, so I'll just note
what I think are the more important new features added in each release,
beginning with System 6.0.2.

6.0.2:
      * provision to turn off Sound Manager's use of VIA timer
	(by choosing "Simple Beep" as your beep sound), for
	better compatibility with older software.
6.0.3:
      * this version is required for the SE FDHD and SE/30.
      * support for 32-bit QuickDraw 1.0. All colour-capable
	machines will get some benefit from 32-bit QuickDraw,
	even those without a 24-bit-per-pixel display.
      * includes the Revised Time Manager (microsecond timing).
      * lots of fixes to Apple File Exchange.
6.0.4:
      * this version is required for the Portable and the IIci.
      * includes the new Installer.
      * bug fixes to CloseView.
      * some unspecified change to the Sound Manager, which
	broke HyperCard 1.2.2--you need to use 1.2.5 instead.
      * improvements to Script Manager and International Utilities.
	Non-Roman double-byte script systems include version 3.0
	of TextEdit.
      * first appearance of new Gestalt service--the successor to
	SysEnvirons.
6.0.5:
      * this version is required for the IIfx. It is also
	recommended for Portable users.
      * support for 32-bit QuickDraw 1.2 (included), which has
	many improvements. Font names are now recorded in version 2
	PICTs. New OpenCPicture call includes resolution information
	as well.
      * includes the Extended Time Manager (drift-free
	periodic timing).
      * all script systems include version 3.0 of TextEdit.
      * there appears to be a new call that you can use to
	delay a continuous scrolling operation, so that it runs
	at a manageable speed, no matter how fast the machine is.
6.0.7:
      * this version is required for the Classic, LC and IIsi.
      * includes a greatly-enhanced Sound Manager, including
	sound input support (not limited to the built-in hardware
	on the new models) and MACE compression/decompression.
	It also looks like Apple has given up on trying to use
	"snth" resources to drive MIDI devices.
      * faster drawing of ovals and rounded-corner rectangles.
      * Script Manager supports easy creation of "simple scripts".
      * system error alerts no longer include cryptic ID numbers.
	You now have cryptic text messages instead.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00

drz@po.cwru.edu (David Zinkin) (11/30/90)

In article <2402.27563d59@waikato.ac.nz> ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence
D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>In the interests of promoting more informed discussion on the subject,
>I thought I'd assemble a list of the important changes between
>different versions of System 6.0.x. I invite comment, additions
>and corrections.

Looks good; but don't forget these!

6.0  :
      * the initial buggy release
      * contains vers resources for "version" information
      * improved MultiFinder stability
      * new Sound Manager (allows new beep sounds on 68000-based Macs)

6.0.6:
      * same features as 6.0.7, but contains a bug which can prevent the
        acceptance of keyboard input and which can cause AppleTalk networks
        to disconnect (registers AppleTalk version "zero"); fixed in 6.0.7

OK, the only one missing now is 6.0.1.  Does anyone have this?

 -- Dave