[comp.sys.mac.system] What will be the main IAC features in System 7.0?

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (12/01/90)

------

I have a basic idea of the IAC capabilities which will be in System 7, but I
remember hearing a few months ago that one of the big IAC features which was
promised at the developers conference in '89 would be missing in the inital
release of 7.  What are the main IAC features that will be in 7, and which is
the missing one?

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/02/90)

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>I remember hearing a few months ago that one of the big IAC features which was
>promised at the developers conference in '89 would be missing in the inital
>release of 7.  What are the main IAC features that will be in 7, and which is
>the missing one?

Edition Manager will apparently be there, as well as AppleEvents (although
so far only the basic events corresponding to the stereotypical File menu
have been defined, as far as I know.  MacWeek keeps reporting that developers
are screaming at Apple to take the lead in defining AppleEvents, while
Apple feels it should be resolved in some sort of UN-peace-talks-like
consensus.  If MacWeek is incorrect, I'd appreciate someone posting the
facts).

The one big chunk of IAC that will not be there is AppleScript.  I will miss
it terribly.  According to Apple people at the Oct. 15 new product rollout,
the actual coding of AppleScript hasn't even begun yet.

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.104834.27826@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:
>Edition Manager will apparently be there, as well as AppleEvents (although
>so far only the basic events corresponding to the stereotypical File menu
>have been defined, as far as I know.  MacWeek keeps reporting that developers
>are screaming at Apple to take the lead in defining AppleEvents, while
>Apple feels it should be resolved in some sort of UN-peace-talks-like
>consensus.  If MacWeek is incorrect, I'd appreciate someone posting the
>facts).

  Apple has defined a set of AppleEvents for all the File-menu stuff as well
as a couple of functional-area AppleEvent sets.

  The ones which I remember offhand as already defined are:  Text
AppleEvents, Finder AppleEvents (for launching applications etc.), and a set
of low-level AppleEvents which correspond to mouse clicks, drags, etc.

  More are in the works, but Apple definitely still wants developers
involved.

  For more info, see the AppleEvents Registry, Introduction to AppleEvent
Objects, and Inside Mac VI on the System 7.0b1 CD.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *