[comp.sys.mac.system] Deskwriter ink

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (12/05/90)

>There is absolutely no truth to this.  This ink is still and will continue
>to be on the market.  The old ink (the stuff that did smear when wet) is
>being taken off (when its gone, its gone), but the new ink is here to stay.

Does anyone know for sure how "smudge-resistant" the new ink is?
Specifically, I'm wondering about the security of using it for
printing checks.  Is the printing now more securely fixed on the page
with the new ink?

The reason I'm asking is that someone I know had an HP salesman show
him that the old ink can be erased off of checks.  The salesman told
him that one should use Krylon (spray fixative) to make the old ink
secure for use on checks.

Margot Flowers
Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU
...!(uunet,rutgers,ucbvax,randvax)!cs.ucla.edu!flowers

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.213156.16935@cs.ucla.edu> flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) writes:
>>There is absolutely no truth to this.  This ink is still and will continue
>>to be on the market.  The old ink (the stuff that did smear when wet) is
>>being taken off (when its gone, its gone), but the new ink is here to stay.
>
>Does anyone know for sure how "smudge-resistant" the new ink is?
>Specifically, I'm wondering about the security of using it for
>printing checks.  Is the printing now more securely fixed on the page
>with the new ink?
>
>The reason I'm asking is that someone I know had an HP salesman show
>him that the old ink can be erased off of checks.  The salesman told
>him that one should use Krylon (spray fixative) to make the old ink
>secure for use on checks.
>
>Margot Flowers
>Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU
>...!(uunet,rutgers,ucbvax,randvax)!cs.ucla.edu!flowers

Margot,
  I believe the new ink will smudge ever so slightly when really wet, but
isn't going to be eraseable like the old stuff was.
                      Jack Howarth

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) (12/07/90)

I work for Hewlett-Packard VCD, and although this is my own opinion and not
that of Hewlett-Packard, etc. The NEW ink, the stuff with the bright red star
on the box (to be sure, check the serial number on the side and see if it has
an asterisk before it) is a 100% improvement ont he ink. The NEW stuff will
not smear unless it is smeared when really wet, like printing a large black
box, and smearing it right afet printing.

If you allow the new ink to dry for about 2-3 seconds, it is very reliable. I
will say, that unless someone knows a real good secret, there is no way to
erase the ink once it is dry.

Also, that was a tacky (no pun intended) thing for the sales person to tell
that other person.

Dave
          "pIch vIghajbe'" -- Worf, Star Trek - The Next Generation

UUCP: .. !crash!pro-freedom!pip
ARPA: crash!pro-freedom!pip@nosc.mil
INET: pip@pro-freedom.cts.com