[comp.sys.mac.system] Hacking the "Welcome to Macintosh." intro

biswa@galileo.berkeley.edu (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) (11/28/90)

I want to hack the "Welcome to Macintosh." logo that comes up at startup
to something more interesting. Yes, I know this is frivolous and puerile,
but it's *my* toy. (No,no,no, I'm not implying the Mac is only a toy. I
do use it for serious work now and then.)

I tried looking at a (copy of) the system file with Resedit last night. I
think I went through everthing, but couldn't find it. Did find the picture
of the Mac with mouse though.

So I ended up hacking it with Fedit, found the string, and replaced it with
something different. This works fine, as long as my new message is the same
length as the normal one.

Is the message stored as a resource that I can modify with Resedit, and if
so, what resource is it?  If not, is there a safe way to change the message
to something of different length?

AdThanksvance,
Biswa Ghosh

CCC105@psuvm.psu.edu (James Chu) (11/29/90)

     The 'Welcome to Macintosh' logo is hidden in the System file resource DSAT
 ID 0.  Both DSAT resources ID 2 and 0 has a lots of messages in it.  You can c
hange those messages by using ResEdit.  ***BUT!  Remember, never change the len
gth of any messages...OR there goes a system error again!!***

     You can change the message, but you MUST keep the length of the message th
e same...

 Chih-Chuan Chu  (James)               \/       BitNet: CCC105@PSUVM
                                      (@ @)   InterNet: CCC105@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
                                        %        Phone: (717) 586-7580
                                        O          BBS: (717) 586-7579

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (11/30/90)

In article <9254@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> biswa@galileo.berkeley.edu (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) writes:
|I want to hack the "Welcome to Macintosh." logo that comes up at startup
|to something more interesting. Yes, I know this is frivolous and puerile,
|So I ended up hacking it with Fedit, found the string, and replaced it with
|Is the message stored as a resource that I can modify with Resedit, and if
|so, what resource is it?  If not, is there a safe way to change the message
|to something of different length?

Look in DSAT 0.  Neither version of ResEdit that I have supplies a
template, though.

	/JBL
=

Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (11/30/90)

Lawrence, you forgot to say what DSAT stood for.  Officially, it stands for
'Dire Straits Alert Table', but everybody calls it the 'Deep Shit Alert Table'.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

"Mad scientists HATE shopping for shoes!" -- Peaches

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.053450.2218@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>In article <97@victoria.cs.utexas.edu> ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
>>Lawrence, you forgot to say what DSAT stood for.  Officially, it stands for
>>'Dire Straits Alert Table', but everybody calls it the 'Deep Shit Alert Table'.

>Inside Mac (looseleaf edition) confirms that it was originally, and is
>_REALLY_ 'Deep Shit Alert Table'

IM Vol II now calls it the 'System Error Alert Table' or the 'System Startup
Alert Table', type DSAT.  And the relevant procedures are DSwhatever....

SOunds like someone weenied out over at Apple...

--

In article <99@syrian.cs.utexas.edu> ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:

>IM Vol II now calls it the 'System Error Alert Table' or the 'System Startup
>Alert Table', type DSAT.  And the relevant procedures are DSwhatever....
>
>SOunds like someone weenied out over at Apple...

Yup-- and in one other place, not only did they weenie out, they deleted
information:
Error -59: fsRnErr Problem During Rename
WAS
Error -59: FSDSErr File System Deep s--t error:  [deletion in original]
   during rename the old entry was deleted but could not be restored.

Of course, considering the date on this file, that information may be no
longer be correct.

daven@svc.portal.com (12/06/90)

In article <1365@tardis.Tymnet.COM> carl@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Carl Baltrunas) writes:
>In article <9254@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> biswa@galileo.berkeley.edu (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) writes:
>>I want to hack the "Welcome to Macintosh." logo that comes up at startup
>>to something more interesting. Yes, I know this is frivolous and puerile,
>>but it's *my* toy. (No,no,no, I'm not implying the Mac is only a toy. I
>>do use it for serious work now and then.)
>>
>Someone correct me if I'm wrong, (I'm sure someone will :-) but isn't the
>easiest way to change the "Welcome to Macintosh." logo to just put a file
>called "StartupScreen" in your system folder.  The contents of which are
>any pict resource that you'd like to see instead of the "Welcome" logo..

Another way to do this, is to go in with ResEdit and modify one of the DSAT
resources of the system file. There maybe more than one, but just look
through them for the one that contains the welcome message. I've modified
these with success. However, I'm not certain if you can lengthen or shorten
the string and not crash, so I've always been certain to perserve the string's
length.

Dave Newman - Sofware Ventures        | daven@svc.portal.com | AppleLink: D0025
Berkeley, CA  (415) 644-3232          | AOL: MicroPhone      | CIS: 76004,2161

djensen@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Dallas Jensen) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec5.213658.13732@svc.portal.com> daven@svc.portal.com writes:
>In article <1365@tardis.Tymnet.COM> carl@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Carl Baltrunas) writes:
>>In article <9254@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> biswa@galileo.berkeley.edu (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) writes:
>>>I want to hack the "Welcome to Macintosh." logo that comes up at startup

 .........deleted...............

>>Someone correct me if I'm wrong, (I'm sure someone will :-) but isn't the
>>easiest way to change the "Welcome to Macintosh." logo to just put a file
>>called "StartupScreen" in your system folder.  The contents of which are
`
    Yes, this is the easiest way. Use a program (such as Superpaint) that
    supports the startup screen format and have fun.

>>any pict resource that you'd like to see instead of the "Welcome" logo..

>Another way to do this, is to go in with ResEdit and modify one of the DSAT
>resources of the system file. There maybe more than one, but just look
  IMHO........ DON'T  do this (unless you enjoy rebuilding your
               system folder :-[)

					Dallas Jensen
.insert disclaimer/legalese type
.insert signature/foolish quote of the day