[comp.sys.mac.system] Finder memory problems

jrk@information-systems.east-anglia.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (11/26/90)

I recently posted a query about why I could often not run a program, due
to insufficient memory, even when "About the Finder" appeared to show
that the Largest Unused Block was 100 or 200K larger than required.  I
didn't get a solution to that problem, but now I have what looks like a
similar one: In certain circumstances, I can't copy or duplicate any
files because "Ran out of Finder memory during copy.  Please drag the
items in two groups".  Even if I'm only copying one item, and that only
a few K in size.  This is in spite of the fact that "About the Finder"
shows plenty of space in the Finder's partition (nearly half free out of
a partition size of 300k), and a Largest Unused Block of about 150k.
Quitting an application, releasing 400K, lets copying go ahead.  There
is also free space in the System partition (about 10% out of 1200k).

The only other hint I can give is that this sort of thing seems to
happen more often if I have printed something since booting.  In fact,
I suspect that it has never happened before having printed anything.
But this may just be coincidence.  I haven't been able to reliably
reproduce the behaviour.  Is it possible that PrintMonitor, or something
else, is leaving unrelocatable blocks lying around in what should be
free space?

Version numbers, as reported by MacEnvy:
	System 6.0.5, Finder B1-6.1.5, MultiFinder 6.1b9, Mac IIfx.

And the first time I tried to open the Control Panel to use MacEnvy,
I just got a beep - not enough memory to run DA Handler.

--
Richard Kennaway          SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
Internet:  jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk		uucp:  ...mcsun!ukc!uea-sys!jrk

francis@daisy.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (11/27/90)

Maybe you've been virized.

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| Until you stalk and overrun,	     	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|  you can't devour anyone. -- Hobbes 	      |

jrk@information-systems.east-anglia.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (11/28/90)

in message <1990Nov27.025958.11357@midway.uchicago.edu>,
francis@daisy.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

> Maybe you've been virized.

That's always possible, but if so, it's a virus that can hide from
GateKeeper Aid 1.1, GateKeeper 1.1.1, Disinfectant 2.3, and Virus
Detective 4.0.3.

Correction to my earlier message: I have now observed the behaviour
without having printed anything since booting.  All I'd done was run
Telnet, Word 4, and mount and dismount an AUFS volume.  Then I couldnt
open MacDraw II, although there should have been room.  I still cant
make it happen reproducibly though.

--

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (11/30/90)

In <12570.9011281439@s4.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@information-systems.east-anglia.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) writes:

>Correction to my earlier message: I have now observed the behaviour
>without having printed anything since booting.  All I'd done was run
>Telnet, Word 4, and mount and dismount an AUFS volume.  Then I couldnt
>open MacDraw II, although there should have been room.  I still cant
>make it happen reproducibly though.

I've run across a similar problem - here's an experiment to try...

Try the above sequence a) with many volumes mounted and b) with
few volumes mounted. If the problem gets worse/better (in that order)
try increasing the buffer size allocated to finder using Layout 1.9
(or more recent if one is available). This buffer size is NOT the
"File:Get-Info" startup memory allocation but some internal
finder allocation that layout can change. I've noticed that this
internal space affects file copying, application launching, system
reliability.....Apple please take note - it is not nice to have the
system crash during a file copy (from finder) just because internal
mount buffers are used up!!

--alen the Lisa Slayer (trying to turn a SPARC into a flame)
    alen%shappy.uucp@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)
    alen@crash.cts.com

peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) (12/08/90)

writes:

|> > [...]
|>
|> I've run across a similar problem - here's an experiment to try...
|>
|> Try the above sequence a) with many volumes mounted and b) with
|> few volumes mounted. If the problem gets worse/better (in that
order)
|> try increasing the buffer size allocated to finder using Layout 1.9
|> (or more recent if one is available). This buffer size is NOT the
|> "File:Get-Info" startup memory allocation but some internal
|> finder allocation that layout can change.
|>
|> --alen the Lisa Slayer (trying to turn a SPARC into a flame)
|>     alen%shappy.uucp@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a
concept!!)
|>     alen@crash.cts.com

	OK, exactly what is the identification of this "internal" finder
allocation. I tried both Layout 1.9 and ResEdit 2.0b2 LAYO template and
in
niether case could I find anything even closely related to some
internal
allocation or buffer size.

	Peter C

--