[comp.sys.mac.system] classic weirdness...

djb@well.sf.ca.us (David Jospeh Brightbill) (12/09/90)

I have encountered a major weirdness with a new mac classic.  This may belong
in comp.virus but I don't think so.  The classic is a 2/40 running 6.0.7.
When it was delivered from the distributor, it came with WDEF on it.  I
found it with disenfectant, removed it, and now it reports itself as being
clean.  It's also running the disenfectant init and gatekeeper aid.  The
machine has two problems.  The first is that it lost it's sounds.  When you
choose the sound cdev, no matter which of the four sounds you choose, you
get a beep.  The other problem is that the icon for word has turned generic.
Anybody got a suggestion?

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (12/09/90)

In article <22050@well.sf.ca.us> djb@well.sf.ca.us (David Jospeh Brightbill) writes:
>[...] The
>machine has two problems.  The first is that it lost it's sounds.  When you
>choose the sound cdev, no matter which of the four sounds you choose, you
>get a beep.

Well, I've only ever seen this happen for two reasons. Your system is somehow
having trouble accessing the resource containing the sound you want to play.
This could be because the resource is bad (which I suspect is not the case
since the Contol Panel cat get at its name) or you don't have enough memory to
load the sound.

So, I suppose the important questions to ask here are: just how many INITS are
you running, and are you running MultiFinder? If so, you may try pearing down
(kill some useless INITS or shut off MultiFinder) and try using the Sound
CDEV. Very likely, it's memory that's causing the problem.

In case you're not sure, try rebuilding your system files using the Installer.
This should at least ensure the sounds in the System file are good.

>[...] The other problem is that the icon for word has turned generic.
>Anybody got a suggestion?

Just rebuild your desktop. Hold down option and command when starting up
(with MultiFinder) or after quitting an application (in just Finder). This may
have been caused by the removal of the WDEF, which I understand lives in the
Desktop file (where the icons for Finder come from).

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *

daven@svc.portal.com (12/10/90)

In article <22050@well.sf.ca.us> djb@well.sf.ca.us (David Jospeh Brightbill) writes:
>I have encountered a major weirdness with a new mac classic.  This may belong
>in comp.virus but I don't think so.  The classic is a 2/40 running 6.0.7.
>When it was delivered from the distributor, it came with WDEF on it.  I
>found it with disenfectant, removed it, and now it reports itself as being
>clean.  It's also running the disenfectant init and gatekeeper aid.  The
>machine has two problems.  The first is that it lost it's sounds.  When you
>choose the sound cdev, no matter which of the four sounds you choose, you
>get a beep.  The other problem is that the icon for word has turned generic.
>Anybody got a suggestion?

David,

First off it's good that you checked for and caught a virus. I wish the dealers
and distributors would be more careful about this. Most are I'm sure, but it
only takes a few bad ones to tranish everyone's reputations.

Now, it sounds like you should play it safe, and completely reinstall the
system from your backup Mac system disks. It's the only way you can really
be certain that you're okay. WDEF is known to be harmless, but why chance it?

If you elect not to reinstall your system, then at least you should be able to
get your WORD icon's by rebuilding your desktop. Reboot your Mac, and as INITs
are loading, hold down your Command and Option keys and keep them down until
Finder brings up a dialong asking you if you wish to rebuild the desktop file
for your drive.

Dave Newman - Sofware Ventures        | daven@svc.portal.com | AppleLink: D0025
Berkeley, CA  (415) 644-3232          | AOL: MicroPhone      | CIS: 76004,2161

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (12/10/90)

Brightbill) writes:
> I have encountered a major weirdness with a new mac classic.  This may
belong
> in comp.virus but I don't think so.  The classic is a 2/40 running 6.0.7.
> When it was delivered from the distributor, it came with WDEF on it.  I
> found it with disenfectant, removed it, and now it reports itself as
being
> clean.  It's also running the disenfectant init and gatekeeper aid.  The
> machine has two problems.  The first is that it lost it's sounds.  When
you
> choose the sound cdev, no matter which of the four sounds you choose, you
> get a beep.  The other problem is that the icon for word has turned
generic.
> Anybody got a suggestion?

After I had a short WDEF infection, and removed it with Disinfectant, I
suddenly discovered that several applications had lost their icons.
Rebuilding the desktop did _not_ help, the bundle bits of these
applications had been flipped!  After this followed a period with several
funny hard disk problems, until it suddenly was so messy that the mac
couldn't boot any more.  Luckily, at that point I had already taken a
backup and was ready to format the disk.

My only explanation is that WDEF can do serious harm to  your hard disks
logical structure, and that it therefore is advisable to reformat as soon
as one encounters unexpected file errors.

But of course you shouldn't bother about this at all, but leave it all to
your dealer.  It is very unprofessional to deliver a machine with such a
common virus, and the least the dealer can do is to rush to you
immediately and do the formatting and installation for you.  And then you
should give him a copy of the newest version of Disinfectant...

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo
P.o. Box 1053 Blindern