[comp.sys.mac.system] INIT problems on my IIsi

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (12/06/90)

In article, Jens Johansen writes:

I am trying to use the following INITs:

GateKeeper, GateKeeper Aid, init cdev, Jasmine, After Dark (older version),
AltCDEF, DfaultD 2.03, Flash-It 2.0, InUse cdev 2.0,PseudoFPU, QuicKeys,
SoundMaster, SUM Shield INIT, WindowShade, ~atm 2.0, SuperSpool, DeskPict,
Icon Wrap 1.2, Facade, Color Cursor, and 32 Bit QuickDraw.

32 Bit QuickDraw never ran, and I'm not too worried about that yet because
I don't need it yet...  I would just like to know why.

The main problem is that all the inits after SuperSpool (in alphabetical
order) fail to load up.  Am I just trying to load too darned many INITs or
or is there another, more cryptic reason?  And how can it be fixed?
***end quote***

Yup, sure looks like you are exceeding the 15 init restriction.  Does that
still apply to 6.07?  Sounds like time to investigate MasterJuggler or Suitcase
II, eh?

fc159117@seas.gwu.edu (Jens Johansen) (12/07/90)

I have just received my new IIsi the other day, and I'm currently trying to
get it to load up my INITs properly.

I am trying to use the following INITs:

GateKeeper, GateKeeper Aid, init cdev, Jasmine, After Dark (older version),
AltCDEF, DfaultD 2.03, Flash-It 2.0, InUse cdev 2.0,PseudoFPU, QuicKeys,
SoundMaster, SUM Shield INIT, WindowShade, ~atm 2.0, SuperSpool, DeskPict,
Icon Wrap 1.2, Facade, Color Cursor, and 32 Bit QuickDraw.

32 Bit QuickDraw never ran, and I'm not too worried about that yet because
I don't need it yet...  I would just like to know why.

The main problem is that all the inits after SuperSpool (in alphabetical
order) fail to load up.  Am I just trying to load too darned many INITs or
or is there another, more cryptic reason?  And how can it be fixed?

e-mail responses to fc159117@seas.gwu.edu of fc159117@eesun.gwu.edu

Thanks in advance!

Jens Johansen  ( fc159117@seas.gwu.edu )

fc159117@seas.gwu.edu (Jens Johansen) (12/07/90)

I figured out what the problem was with my INITs (see my previous post) and it
has to do with SuitCase II, which I renamed ~SuitCase II.  For some reason my
IIsi was ignoring all INITs which load after SuitCase.  Problem solved!

BTW, I still can't figure out what to do about 32 Bit QuickDraw.  Does it need
an FPU?  If so, will Pseudo FPU take care of the whole sordid business if it is
loaded first?

e-mail responses to fc159117@seas.gwu.edu of fc159117@eesun.gwu.edu

Thanks in advance!

Jens Johansen  ( fc159117@seas.gwu.edu )

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (12/07/90)

Just a note that 32-bit QuickDraw is built into the ROM of the LC, the IIsi,
the IIci and the IIfx. So if you have one of these, you can get rid of
that "32-bit QuickDraw" file in your System Folder--it's not doing anything
for you.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (12/08/90)

>a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:
>>In article, Jens Johansen writes:

>>I am trying to use the following INITs:

>>GateKeeper, GateKeeper Aid, init cdev, Jasmine, After Dark (older version),
>>AltCDEF, DfaultD 2.03, Flash-It 2.0, InUse cdev 2.0,PseudoFPU, QuicKeys,
>>SoundMaster, SUM Shield INIT, WindowShade, ~atm 2.0, SuperSpool, DeskPict,
>>Icon Wrap 1.2, Facade, Color Cursor, and 32 Bit QuickDraw.

If I read things correctly (that you are using a IIsi) here are some
observations:

1) you don't need 32bit quickdraw. It is built into the si.

2) Get the newer After Dark. Even flat out 2.0 has some trouble with
   the si (what is the latest? 2.0t or something? I never bothered to
   call in, still have my regular 2.0 on my si...)

3) INITs that might be pushing it on an si: WindowShade, AltCDEF, DfailtD,
   old QuicKeys (do you have 2.0?)... (I haven't tested these, this is more
   gut feeling...)

4) In general, are all INITs up to date? Latest Versions? The general
   rule of thumb I use with INITs is: If you can survive without it,
   survive without it. I got a lot of crashes when I first got my si.
   I updated everything (I know, I haven't gotten around to updating
   AD... but I just don't use the modules that cause trouble. Besides,
   I'm addicted to satori!) and I just tossed the stuff I could live
   without.

>>32 Bit QuickDraw never ran, and I'm not too worried about that yet because
>>I don't need it yet...  I would just like to know why.

Isn't needed, see above.

>The main problem is that all the inits after SuperSpool (in alphabetical
>order) fail to load up.  Am I just trying to load too darned many INITs or
>or is there another, more cryptic reason?  And how can it be fixed?
>***end quote***

No such thing as too many, excepting how much memory you have. If you only have
2mb, then hell yes you are loading too many. SoundMaster alone can be an
incredible hog.

Now, for the reply to your posting...

>Yup, sure looks like you are exceeding the 15 init restriction.  Does that
>still apply to 6.07?  Sounds like time to investigate MasterJuggler or Suitcase
>II, eh?

I think you are just a little confused. There is a 15 item limit on
DESK ACCESSORIES not INITs. You can stuff your System folder as full as you
wish according to how much memory you have. Have 17 mbs? Go for it. Boot
it up and take a 3 week vacation to Tibet and come back. It should be
ready to roll. Have only 2mb, then chill out and get some SIMMs or toss
useless inits.

My $0.02 worth.

-A

--
Andy J. Williams     Snail: RFD 1 #268           echo "Hello."
Consultant Guy              Lebanon NH, 03766    setenv $name="Inigo_Montoya"

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (12/09/90)

In article <2413@sparko.gwu.edu> fc159117@seas.gwu.edu (Jens Johansen) writes:
> BTW, I still can't figure out what to do about 32 Bit QuickDraw.  Does it need
> an FPU?  If so, will Pseudo FPU take care of the whole sordid business if it
> is loaded first?

The IIsi hardware features manual gave me the impression that 32-bit quick-
draw was buildt into the ROMs on the IIsi.  Perhaps you might want to re-read
that section of the manual to see if the init is needed.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/09/90)

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:

>>In article, Jens Johansen writes:
>>I am trying to use the following INITs:
>>[lists many INITs]

>Yup, sure looks like you are exceeding the 15 init restriction.  Does that
>still apply to 6.07?  Sounds like time to investigate MasterJuggler or Suitcase
>II, eh?

Rick, there is no limit on the number of INITs.  The limit of 15 applies to
DAs (those miniprograms installed as code resources in your System file
or a file opened by MasterJuggler or Suitcase II and available on the Apple
menu).

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/09/90)

fc159117@seas.gwu.edu (Jens Johansen) writes:

>I have just received my new IIsi the other day, and I'm currently trying to
>get it to load up my INITs properly.

>I am trying to use the following INITs:

>GateKeeper, GateKeeper Aid, init cdev, Jasmine, After Dark (older version),
>AltCDEF, DfaultD 2.03, Flash-It 2.0, InUse cdev 2.0,PseudoFPU, QuicKeys,
>SoundMaster, SUM Shield INIT, WindowShade, ~atm 2.0, SuperSpool, DeskPict,
>Icon Wrap 1.2, Facade, Color Cursor, and 32 Bit QuickDraw.

>32 Bit QuickDraw never ran, and I'm not too worried about that yet because
>I don't need it yet...  I would just like to know why.

Because on the IIsi 32-bit QuickDraw is in ROM.  (Read the ReadMe file in
the Apple Color folder on the System Additions floppy of the 6.0.7
distribution.)

>The main problem is that all the inits after SuperSpool (in alphabetical
>order) fail to load up.  Am I just trying to load too darned many INITs or
>or is there another, more cryptic reason?  And how can it be fixed?

Try renaming the suspect INITs.

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (12/11/90)

In article <4063@mindlink.UUCP> a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:
>In article, Jens Johansen writes:
>

>32 Bit QuickDraw never ran, and I'm not too worried about that yet because
>I don't need it yet...  I would just like to know why.

32 Bit QuickDraw wont run. 'cause you already have 32 Bit QuickDraw
loaded, its in ROM on the new machines.

>The main problem is that all the inits after SuperSpool (in alphabetical
>order) fail to load up.  Am I just trying to load too darned many INITs or
>or is there another, more cryptic reason?  And how can it be fixed?
>***end quote***
>
>Yup, sure looks like you are exceeding the 15 init restriction.  Does that
>still apply to 6.07?  Sounds like time to investigate MasterJuggler or Suitcase
>II, eh?

There is no 15 init restriction, you're confusing it with the 15 DA
restriction. I have many more than 15 INITs on my IIsi. MasterJuggler
and Suitcase manage Font and DA files, not INITs.

jim

--
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud