[comp.sys.mac.system] Finder eject-and-dismount keyboard shortcut

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (12/07/90)

One of our local Apple people told me about a Finder keyboard shortcut I
hadn't known about before. If you hold down the option key while selecting
"Eject" from the File menu (either with option-cmd-E or option-select-
menu-item-with-mouse), and keep holding the option key down, the Finder
will eject the disk, and then dismount it (the icon disappears from
the Desktop). You have to keep the option key down after the eject--
it takes about a second for the icon to disappear.

Can somebody tell me, is this a relatively new shortcut? I'm just curious.
It just seems like such an odd one.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00

North_TJ@cc.curtin.edu.au (Tim North) (12/10/90)

In article <2470.275fd964@waikato.ac.nz>, ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
> One of our local Apple people told me about a Finder keyboard shortcut I
> hadn't known about before. If you hold down the option key while selecting
> "Eject" from the File menu (either with option-cmd-E or option-select-
> menu-item-with-mouse), and keep holding the option key down, the Finder
> will eject the disk, and then dismount it (the icon disappears from
> [...]
> Can somebody tell me, is this a relatively new shortcut? I'm just curious.
> It just seems like such an odd one.

Useful, though. It absolutely scares the *willies* out of new users when they
see you dragging their disk into the trashcan... :-)

---------        | Dept. Computer Engineering, Curtin University of Technology
   /   o  ----   | Perth. Western Australia.
  /   /  / / /   | Internet: North_TJ@cc.curtin.edu.au
 /   /  / / /    | Bitnet:   North_TJ%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet
                 | UUCP:     uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!North_TJ
    _--_|\       |------------------------------------------------------------
   /      \      |I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...
-->\_.--._/      |I want to achieve it through not dying!
         v       |                                        -- Woody Allen.

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (12/11/90)

[hold option down with cmd/E will dismount and eject a disk]

 If you hold Pretzel and Option and press E *twice*, you need not hold option
 while the disk ejects.

 Amazingly handy!

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

tang@motcid.UUCP (Sam D. Tang) (12/11/90)

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:

>One of our local Apple people told me about a Finder keyboard shortcut I
>hadn't known about before. If you hold down the option key while selecting
>"Eject" from the File menu (either with option-cmd-E or option-select-
>menu-item-with-mouse), and keep holding the option key down, the Finder
>will eject the disk, and then dismount it (the icon disappears from
>the Desktop). You have to keep the option key down after the eject--
>it takes about a second for the icon to disappear.
A tiny QuicKey can drag a disk (or anything else) the cursor's hovering
over to the trash.  Option-T, say, and it's in the can, ejected, and
unmounted.  Disks really aren't "trashed" of course (unlike files).  BTW, it's
always interesting to watch a new Mac user's panic stricken face when you drag
his/her disk to the trash.

-----------------------------------------------------------------\ +----------
Sam Tang                                                          \| ####/
Motorola, Inc.--Cellular                                           \  .. #
Arlington Heights, IL                                                 /  #
(708) 632-7269, ...!uunet!motcid!tang                                  ) |
Not necessarily the opinions of my employer!                           \_/

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (12/11/90)

In <18032@shlump.nac.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) says
" If you hold Pretzel and Option and press E *twice*, you need not hold option
while the disk ejects."

I tried this on my internal floppy drive. It worked, but it ejected my
SyQuest drive as well!

This is turning out to be a *very* peculiar shortcut...

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (12/11/90)

>" If you hold Pretzel and Option and press E *twice*, you need not hold option
>while the disk ejects."

the second one need not be an E.  In fact, maybe it is better if it is
NOT a letter that is a command-key shortcut for a menu choice...
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY