[comp.sys.mac.system] Increasing the system size

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (12/12/90)

  I believe that I once read the when in MultiFinder and you get info on the
finder, that the system bar should be 3/4 full.  Is this right?  I have
_never_ seen my system bar anything less than a solid bar.
  If I need to allocate more memory to my system, how do I do it?
  Thanks.

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (12/13/90)

In article <585@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:

>  I believe that I once read the when in MultiFinder and you get info on the
>finder, that the system bar should be 3/4 full.  Is this right?  I have
>_never_ seen my system bar anything less than a solid bar.
>  If I need to allocate more memory to my system, how do I do it?

I've never seen the System bar less than about 90% full under MultiFinder.
As it turns out, the system heap can grow and shrink under MultiFinder.
The top boundary of the system heap is the bottom boundary of the
MultiFinder heap.  This boundary will move up and down depending on
demands within the system heap.  Therefore, the system usage bar is
somewhat meaningless.  For example, watch the heap size (numeric value)
change as you open and close DA's.

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (12/13/90)

In article <667@treehouse.UUCP>, andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) writes:
> In article <585@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:
> >
> >  I believe that I once read the when in MultiFinder and you get info on the
> >finder, that the system bar should be 3/4 full.  Is this right?  I have
> >_never_ seen my system bar anything less than a solid bar.
> >  If I need to allocate more memory to my system, how do I do it?
>
> I've never seen the System bar less than about 90% full under MultiFinder.
> As it turns out, the system heap can grow and shrink under MultiFinder.
> The top boundary of the system heap is the bottom boundary of the
> MultiFinder heap.  This boundary will move up and down depending on
> demands within the system heap.  Therefore, the system usage bar is
> somewhat meaningless.  For example, watch the heap size (numeric value)
> change as you open and close DA's.

What you need is the Heap Tool init, which allocates additional memory to
the heap.  I don't know where do get it online, but it is a shareware program.

--=>MC