[comp.sys.mac.system] A New Folder from Hell

pablo@b11.ingr.com (Pablo Fernicola) (12/12/90)

My machine crashed when I was installing (UnStuffing) MacInTax.  When the
machine came back up one of the application folders was created.  Inside the
folder there is another folder (just like its parent) and inside this folder
there is another folder, and inside this folder there is another folder,
ad infinitum . . .

Looks like the section of the folder that points to its contents its pointing
to itself in a recursive chain (this is my guess).  Any clues?

I tried throwing the folder in the trash and the finder said it couldn't do it
because it was out of memory.  I increased the memory for the Finder to
2.5 Megs and still got the same problem.  I used Disk First Aid, MacTools,
and the utility that comes in the system disk to no avail.  My guess is that I
will have to edit some bits, but which ones?

Help!
Thanks,

-Pablo
--
	Pablo F. Fernicola		|	b11!pablo!pff@ingr.com
Ferni~Cola - the real thing		|

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (12/15/90)

In article <9630@b11.ingr.com>
     pablo@b11.ingr.com (Pablo Fernicola) writes:
> My machine crashed when I was installing (UnStuffing) MacInTax.  When the
> machine came back up one of the application folders was created.  Inside
> the folder there is another folder (just like its parent) and inside this
> folder there is another folder, and inside this folder there is another
> folder, ad infinitum . . .
>
> Looks like the section of the folder that points to its contents its
> pointing to itself in a recursive chain (this is my guess).
> Any clues?

I hit a similar problem when using the installer for Stuffit Deluxe.  I
don't think it's a recursive chain, I think there really are all those
folders inside of folders.  Rename the first level folder and then open
it.  Rename the folder inside it (to something else) and then reopen that.
You can keep trying this and all the folders will keep whatever name you
give them.

I expect that finder is crashing because there are too many levels.  You
can open a few levels worth of these folders, and then move the innermost
folder out to the first level.  You can then trash the intermediate
folders.  I trashed 800 levels of folders before I gave up and just
reformated the drive (after doing a backup which excluded that folder, of
course).  I think I saw someone else who did this, and said they prevailed
after 1200 levels of folders.

Presumably this is just a bug in the UnStuffit-Deluxe-type installer
mechanism.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA