[comp.sys.mac.system] HyperCard requirements

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (12/14/90)

From: gousha@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Gousha)

Here's the lowdown.

Hypercard 1.2.2 will run on just about anything.  However, it should not
be run on anything above System 6.0.3 due to toolbox changes.

Hypercard 1.2.5 needs System 6.0.4 or greater to run due to the toolbox
changes it comensates for (something involving the sound manager), and
will not run on anything less, but has no problem with the new Systems.

HyperCard 2.0 needs System 6.0.5 or greater to run, but it's worth it.

HyperCard 2.0 is a commercial piece of software that Claris will be
releasing for general sales with manuals at the beginning of the year.
This will be the full developer version, and includes a few things
(besides the manuals) that does not get shipped with the stripped-down
version that Apple packages with the new Macs. If you've seen the latest
MacWorld issue (the one with John Sculley in a samurai outfit), then you
know that Claris will be selling it for $50. HOWEVER: BMUG, the Berkeley
Mac Users Group, is authorized to sell HC 2.0 without the manuals for $15
until the end of the year.

DISCLAIMER:  Okay, so I'm a BMUG member and I'm plugging it.  So sue me.
Charles Gousha                 |    "Yes, Star Trek IS a way of life"
gousha@cory.berkeley.edu       |               (my own philosophy)
All normal disclaimers apply, as well as some abnormal ones.

quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Clark Quinn) (12/14/90)

In article <9759@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> gousha@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:

>HyperCard 2.0 needs System 6.0.5 or greater to run, but it's worth it.

Well, I certainly agree that HyperCard 2.0 is worth it, but...

in the 11/06/90 MacWeek (4, 38), they recommend (page 8) 6.0.4 for SE's
and II's (and only 6.0.3 for SE/30's), as well as the Plus, and IIcx.
Well, I have a II at home, it's just fine for me, and an SE at work
(yes, it's too small and wimpy, but they won't give me anything more).
So now I'm confused.  I don't know why they don't recommend 6.0.5 for
II's and SE's, but I don't like to make my life more difficult by using
risky OS's when I really can't afford the possible mistakes.  Can I
safely upgrade to 6.0.5 to run HyperCard 2.0 on my II at home?  How do I
get it?  Here, we have either 6.0.4 or 6.0.7, the former of which won't
support 2.0 and the latter of which is NOT recommended for SE's or
II's.  As you can see, I really could use some guidance.  Any takers?
-- Clark

Clark N. Quinn						(412) 624-9581
Learning Research and Development Center		quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh				quinn@pittunix.bitnet
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
for my machines)

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (12/15/90)

In article <70618@unix.cis.pitt.edu> quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Clark Quinn) writes:
>Well, I certainly agree that HyperCard 2.0 is worth it, but...
>So now I'm confused.  I don't know why they don't recommend 6.0.5 for
>II's and SE's, but I don't like to make my life more difficult by using

Well, nobody told me 6.0.5 was bad for my SE, so I installed it about a month
ago along with Hypercard 2.0.  I haven't had any trouble whatsoever -- except
for a system crash in the first stack besides Home I tried (the Hypercard 2.0
tour!).  Needless to say, that was worrisome, but I've had nary a crash, hang,
or glitch since.  A record not often met when I was running 6.0.3.

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (12/15/90)

In article <9759@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six
o'clock News) writes:
> Hypercard 1.2.5 needs System 6.0.4 or greater to run due to the toolbox
> changes it comensates for (something involving the sound manager), and
> will not run on anything less, but has no problem with the new Systems.

Sorry, HyperCard 1.2.5 doesn't work well at all with systems > 6.0.5.
Again, due to changes to the sound manager. A hang or crash is to be
expected when sound or beeps are played if you do try it though.

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I typed this myself = I speak for myself...
.or..I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove anything!

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) (12/16/90)

As far as I know, unless Apple has really changed something, that HyperCard
2.0 *REQUIRES* System version 6.0.5 or greater. This is what I am using on my
plus, and it works just fine, have not had any major screw ups that are not my
own fault....probably spoke too soon, but.......

Dave

          "pIch vIghajbe'" -- Worf, Star Trek - The Next Generation

UUCP: .. !crash!pro-freedom!pip
ARPA: crash!pro-freedom!pip@nosc.mil
INET: pip@pro-freedom.cts.com

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (12/18/90)

writes:
> in the 11/06/90 MacWeek (4, 38), they recommend (page 8) 6.0.4 for SE's
> and II's (and only 6.0.3 for SE/30's), as well as the Plus, and IIcx.
> Well, I have a II at home, it's just fine for me, and an SE at work
> (yes, it's too small and wimpy, but they won't give me anything more).
> So now I'm confused.  I don't know why they don't recommend 6.0.5 for
> II's and SE's, but I don't like to make my life more difficult by using
> risky OS's when I really can't afford the possible mistakes.  Can I
> safely upgrade to 6.0.5 to run HyperCard 2.0 on my II at home?

Sure, no problem.

> How do I get it?

I don't follow the "Why can't I ftp Blah III v.2.7.9 from apple.com"
threads, but I think you can usually ftp released System software from
apple.com. It may also be available from a user group near you, or you can
get it from an authorized Apple dealer.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."