[comp.sys.mac.system] HELP! I have a virus for sure!

cluther@supernet.haus.com (Clay Luther) (12/22/90)

Tonight, when I popped in a disk that came from dubious sources I (eventually)
was presented with the following surprise from GateKeeper:

GateKeeper has vetoed an attempt by Microsoft Word to violate "Res(System)"
priveleges against System [ RsrcMapEntry(DRVR,2) ]

I ran Disenfectant, but it did not find anything.  Can someone please
email the latest copy of Disenfectant so I can try to kill this thing?

Thanks.
--
Clay Luther, Postmaster          cluther@supernet.haus.com
  Harris Adacom Corporation      cluther@enigma.haus.com

HMPQC@CUNYVM (12/22/90)

You can always ftp the latest version of Disinfectant from acns.nwu.edu.

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec22.040903.29361@supernet.haus.com> cluther@supernet.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:
>Tonight, when I popped in a disk that came from dubious sources I (eventually)
>was presented with the following surprise from GateKeeper:
>
>GateKeeper has vetoed an attempt by Microsoft Word to violate "Res(System)"
>priveleges against System [ RsrcMapEntry(DRVR,2) ]

I see you recently upgraded to System 6.0.7. There is a new version of
GateKeeper Aid to fix this. There is not a virus. I can mail it.

jim
--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

ckd@cs.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) (12/23/90)

Clay> Tonight, when I popped in a disk that came from dubious sources I
Clay> (eventually) was presented with the following surprise from
Clay> GateKeeper:

Clay> GateKeeper has vetoed an attempt by Microsoft Word to violate
Clay> "Res(System)" priveleges against System [ RsrcMapEntry(DRVR,2) ]

What version of the System are you running?  What version of Gatekeeper?
Do you have Gatekeeper Aid installed, and if so, what version?

This sounds like it *MIGHT* be a known problem with System 6.0.7, the
ImageWriter driver, and Gatekeeper.  Get the most recent version of
GateKeeper Aid, and see if you still get this message.

(OBTW, please *also* let us know what version of Disinfectant you
have...)

--Chris
--
   [ Christopher Davis - <ckd@cs.bu.edu> - <..!bu.edu!cs.bu.edu!ckd> ]
    A message destined for delivery in *your* domain is fair game for

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (12/26/90)

>GateKeeper has vetoed an attempt by Microsoft Word to violate "Res(System)"
>priveleges against System [ RsrcMapEntry(DRVR,2) ]

	I ran into the same problem last night.  I was using Fastback and
it crashed with a "system trap".  After restarting the Mac, I try to read a
Word doc.  The gatekeeper message comes up.  Horrified. I ran Sam.  The same
message comes up.  No virus is detected.  I then ran Disinfectant 2.4.
No virus. THEN, I decided that may be my system is corrupted.  I replaced
the system and things seems to be fine.

	By the way, what is the lastest version of GateKeeper and GateKeeper
Aid?  Where can I get it?

Ida

sandy@snoopy.cs.umass.edu (& Wise) (01/02/91)

In article <1990Dec22.040903.29361@supernet.haus.com> cluther@supernet.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:

   Tonight, when I popped in a disk that came from dubious sources I (eventually)
   was presented with the following surprise from GateKeeper:

   GateKeeper has vetoed an attempt by Microsoft Word to violate "Res(System)"
   priveleges against System [ RsrcMapEntry(DRVR,2) ]

   I ran Disenfectant, but it did not find anything.  Can someone please
   email the latest copy of Disenfectant so I can try to kill this thing?

Hmm... Did you recently upgrade to System 6.0.7 and don't use
MultiFinder?  (DRVR,2) is the printer driver and for some reason the
6.0.7/Finder was changed so each application calls Map against it.
Relax, no virus.  There is a new version of GateKeeper's Aid which
fixes GateKeeper so you don't have to look at this message...

(Credit is due to Chris Johnson (GateKeeper's author) who explained
this problem to me back in October when I installed my Mother's
Classic).
--
Alexander Erskine Wise /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Software Development Laboratory