[comp.sys.mac.system] StuffIt Classics thinks I have ZUC virus

wieser@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) (01/01/91)

Greetings people:

A rather nifty thing happened this morning...

I compiled a program, tried to stuffit with StuffIt classic (just got it),
and it comes up and tells me that said program is 'possibly' infected with
ZUC.  Disinfectant 2.3 says it is clean.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

--
(    Bernie Wieser, wieser@cpsc.ucalgary.ca, BSWieser@uncamult.BITNET    )
(    4rth Year Dbl.Mgr Cpsc Clhc University of Calgary     |             )

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec31.191216.22049@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> Bernhard Wieser writes:
>I compiled a program, tried to stuffit with StuffIt classic (just got it),
>and it comes up and tells me that said program is 'possibly' infected with
>ZUC.  Disinfectant 2.3 says it is clean.  Anyone have any ideas?

Get Disinfectant 2.4.  From its release notes:
	Version 2.4 detects the new B strain of the ZUC virus, recently
	discovered in Italy.

--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

wieser@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) (01/02/91)

Greetings, and thanks to those who mailed me responses:

On good advice, I took Disinfectant 2.4 and ran it.  It says my system
is clean.  (I practice safe computing ;-)

However, the situation is like this:
My application compiled with MacsBug headers causes StuffIt classic to
warn me I possibly have ZUC.  Without headers, no problems.

I believe it is Classic's fault;  no other program I've tried seems to
do this.  Anyone who wants the program to snoop may do so:  it is a
uuencode/decode utility; I'll mail it out on request.
--

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (01/02/91)

In article <1991Jan1.194130.6480@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
wieser@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes:
> I believe it is Classic's fault;  no other program I've tried seems to
> do this.

What's happened with StuffIt? The nets seem to be loaded with messages in
recent month about people having troubles and wasting hours upon hours
because of StuffIt Delux, and now with StuffIt Classic.
When StuffIt first became popular, there was little doubt that it was the
best compression utility for the Mac.  It's user interface always was ugly,
but it did do more or less what it claimed it would do. For a shareware
product, some quirks and bugs didn't upset most users.

But when it went commercial, users felt they had a right to expect more.
It seems they got more features and more problems, and dismal technical
support. Virtually all comparisons I have seen indicate that none of the
various versions of StuffIt offer a ratio of compression
per unit of time spent that comes even close to most of its newer
competitors.

If you add all the wasted time because of installation problems,
incompatibilities, false virus alerts, and cumbersome manipulations to
create and manipulate archives, the performance of
StuffIt is really the pits.

Unfortunately, StuffIt Delux and Compactor are essentially threading in
the old rut of an antiquated user interface.  Compactor at least does it
with admirable speed. Diamond and DiskDoubler have rethought the user
interface. Both are more elegant, but Diamond's
solution is not convincing because it things don't seem to be quite
intuitive either. And it too has wasted user's time by locking up archives
that were ligitimately created with the
demo version, without warning users that such problems could occur.

DiskDoubler is very intuitive to use, the most elegant of the crop, and on
the average competes very well in therms of compression and speed with its
competitors. Technical support also is outstanding.  Apple Computer has
bought a worldwide site license to use it internally.
I am puzzled that DiskDoubler hardly ever is mentioned on the net. Of
course, people don't complain about what they like. But my gut feeling is
that DiskDoubler has a fairly small market share. One would expect that
Macintosh users are picky about technology and would reject inferior
solutions. But then too, I can't figure out why such large numbers of
Mac users accept all the incompatible and cumbersome stuff that Microsoft
throws their way.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143        Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Disclaimer:  The above are my personal opinions.

cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan1.194130.6480@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wieser@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes ... of virus warnings when decompacting files with
Stuffit classic.

I've repeatedly received Stuffit warnings from files that check clean
with VirusDetective, Disinfectant, Gatekeeper, and anything else that's
available.

I've concluded that Stuffit warns on the slightest provocation,
and should therefore be ignored.
--

Brad Cox; cox@stepstone.com; CI$ 71230,647; 203 426 1875
The Stepstone Corporation; 75 Glen Road; Sandy Hook CT 06482

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan2.155637.14687@cs.utk.edu> wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) writes:
>What's happened with StuffIt? The nets seem to be loaded with messages in
>recent month about people having troubles and wasting hours upon hours
>because of StuffIt Delux, and now with StuffIt Classic.

I think Stuffit got a bad case of featuritus, otherwise known as
creeping featurism. Stuffit 0-1.5.1 was the product of one very fertile
mind, Raymond Lau. Stuffits since then are a product of a team, or
committee.

Then you add competition... Look at the timelines:

1. Stuffit Deluxe 1.0 comes out
1a. Compactor, Diamond, Disk Doubler come out.

2. Users notice that {Compactor|Diamond|Disk Doubler} are {faster|
compact better|easier to use}. Or all of the above.

3. Stuffit Classic 1.6 (shareware) comes out.

4. Users notice that Stuffit Classic 1.6 (shareware) is faster and
has features the commercial version does not (self extracting archives).

5. Stuffit Deluxe 2.0 is announced. (not delivered, though "wait 'til
you see it" beta messages abound)

Editorial Opinions and Questions:

I think 12-18 months from now we'll have some mature, good UI, fast
efficient space conservers and archivers available.

Who will they be? The winners of this short race, of course.

My humble opinion is that Salient will still be there.

As to Stuffit? They have to improve their compression technology.

Compactor? Bill Goodman has excellent compression technology but lacks
some features. He's a one man show. Can he catch up on features while
not losing competitive edge in compression technology?

Diamond? I live and work in Silicon Valley, and I've never seen a copy
of this available for sale. I inhabit Compuserve and GEnie. Ditto. Maybe
they were all sold out before I got to the store? Either that or their
distribution channels are gonna kill them. Obviously I can have no
opinion on their technology, or user interface, or features.

For the record, I own Disk Doubler and Compactor. I've used Stuffit 1.5.1
for years to decompress downloads. I've managed to install Unstuffit Deluxe,
but guess what? It doesn't answer double-clicks on Stuffit 1.5.1 archives,
and I hear it can't open some types of optimized Stuffit Deluxe archives.

Meanwhile, I use Disk Doubler for on-line storage, and Compactor for
off-line storage, and hope I can decode the new stuffits coming down the
wire.

>DiskDoubler is very intuitive to use, the most elegant of the crop, and on
>the average competes very well in therms of compression and speed with its
>competitors. Technical support also is outstanding.  Apple Computer has
>bought a worldwide site license to use it internally.

Intuitive: great; Elegant: yes; Compression technology: better than Stuffit,
but not as good as Compactor.

Technical Support is still excellent. I have the feeling it will drop in
the near future (sales skyrocket, you can only install phone lines and
people to answer them at a fixed rate), I hope their priorities are such that
they will catch up in not to distant future.

>I am puzzled that DiskDoubler hardly ever is mentioned on the net. Of
>course, people don't complain about what they like. But my gut feeling is
>that DiskDoubler has a fairly small market share.

I don't think the reason is any of the above. DiskDoubler, although
using compression technologies, is primarily an online space saver, not
an archiver. Yes I know it has a combine function which places all the
contents of a folder in a file , but since it doesn't allow me to
add into an archive, or selectively extract from an archive it isn't
an archiver.

That's why I own both it and Compactor. And that's why I think
DiskDoubler isn't mentioned much here on Usenet, because it isn't an
archiver.

>                                                  One would expect that
>Macintosh users are picky about technology and would reject inferior
>solutions.

Wrong! A majority of Macintosh users use it because it's easier and
requires less training. i.e. a majority of Macintosh users are *less*
computer literate than other computer users. That's the point of the
easy user interface.

>          But then too, I can't figure out why such large numbers of
>Mac users accept all the incompatible and cumbersome stuff that Microsoft
>throws their way.

Well, I said they were less computer literate, didn't I? 8^) Seriously,
the computer literate and power users among the Macintosh users are as
powerful as their platform allows. I being, I think, one of them feel
that the Macintosh platform is as powerful in concept and scope as any
existing. I'll probably hear from some NeXTofile on that, but I was
talking about real consumer computers ( "real consumer computer" ==
shipping > 1000 per day. "real consumer computer" != maybe shipping >
1000 per month ). But my point is that the *majority* of Mac users are
less computer literate than the computer users of any other computer's
users. Thus we can expect them to buy from the big guys instead of
evaluating their options fully.

>Wolfgang N. Naegeli

In summary (did you even bother to read this far?) I believe:

Today the most efficient archiver is Compactor.

Today the most intuitive on-line space saver is DiskDoubler.

Today Diamond has a distribution/marketing problem, at least.

Today Stuffit is deeply caught up in the conversion from a
one man part-time enterprise to a team based commercial
enterprise.

In the long run we the users will not lose. Most of the participants
in this battle are commited to supporting the past:

Stuffit supports: Stuffit 1.5.1, Packit, BinHex4

Compactor supports: Stuffit 1.5.1

DiskDoubler supports: Stuffit 1.5.1, Packit

In the short run some of us will have spent extra money. Uhm, well
a pity, but, I guess, "So what?". I bought a Poly88 computer
instead of an Apple in 1976 ( date unsure ). I decided the Poly88
was a better computer and more complete than the Apple (It was).
So what? Where's Polymorphic Systems today? Where's Apple?

Sounds like a non-sequitor(sp?) doesn't it? Not really. Compression
technology is a happening. Sun Microsystems now distributes there
operating systems in compressed files. Modems now compress on the
fly. Before very long operating systems will no longer store images
on disk, they will store compressed images on disk. My money spent
on compression technology today, whether on Stuffit, Compactor, or
DiskDoubler, will be lost money. Except whatever use I had in the
meantime!

No wars necessary. Even the people who want to decode archives on
foreign platforms only need to wait. I've already seen claims of disk
librarians which can scan disks containing Stuffit Deluxe and Compactor
archives and list table of contents for both.

Sorry I spoke so long...

jim

--
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud