[comp.sys.mac.system] Yet Another StuffIt Complaint

klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) (01/03/91)

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) writes:

>What's happened with StuffIt? The nets seem to be loaded with messages in
>recent month about people having troubles and wasting hours upon hours
>because of StuffIt Delux, and now with StuffIt Classic.

I have just trashed StuffIt Classic, and gone back to 1.5.1 . The
reason for this is that SC will often hang when opening an archive.
The beach ball cursor just goes round and round until I press the
reset button (aka "programmer's switch").

Klaus Kristiansen

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan3.090102.22759@odin.diku.dk> klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) writes:
|wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) writes:
|
|>What's happened with StuffIt? The nets seem to be loaded with messages in
|>recent month about people having troubles and wasting hours upon hours
|>because of StuffIt Delux, and now with StuffIt Classic.
|
|I have just trashed StuffIt Classic, and gone back to 1.5.1 . The
|reason for this is that SC will often hang when opening an archive.
|The beach ball cursor just goes round and round until I press the
|reset button (aka "programmer's switch").
|
|Klaus Kristiansen

I don't know why you're having this problem.  Stuffit Classic has unbinhexed
and unstuffed well over a hundred megabytes of stuff for me without a hangup.
And my SE runs over a dozen popular INITs as well as (gasp) Smart Alarms.
This is with System 6.05 - 6.07 using MF 6.1b9.  I think the problem is more
with you hardware/software setup than with Stuffit.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (01/04/91)

> And my SE runs over a dozen popular INITs as well as (gasp) Smart Alarms.
> This is with System 6.05 - 6.07 using MF 6.1b9.

This reference to Smart Alarms makes me curious.  Are there some problems
with Smart Alarms?  If so, what are they and with which version?

						Jim Collymore

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/04/91)

In article <148@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:
>> And my SE runs over a dozen popular INITs as well as (gasp) Smart Alarms.
>> This is with System 6.05 - 6.07 using MF 6.1b9.
>
>This reference to Smart Alarms makes me curious.  Are there some problems
>with Smart Alarms?  If so, what are they and with which version?

Well, I've used it for almost 4 years now and have gotten so used to it I
don't want to switch.  It seems to work very close to the System software
and has caused some incompatibility with certain INIT's over the years, not
to mention needing updating with major system software revisions.

The latest problem is an incompatibility with Suitcase II under MultiFinder
6.1b9 which reorders the DA's and Applications in the Apple menu.  Although
Smart Alarms went from a special installer to an INIT in the latest versions,
(Calendar is still a DA), there is still the Reminder DRVR.  Smart Alarms
tries (and keeps trying) to install itself in the DA menu.

IF Smart Alarms loads before Suitcase (look at the spellings), and you pull
down the Apple Menu with the Suitcase modifier key, Smart Alarms will keep
installing itself over and over in the Apple Menu and a crash is soon to
follow.  My workaround is to make sure Suitcase loads first.

Also, one of my favorites, DAMenuz (HierDA) broke when I got the new SA.  But
in fairness, I understand it broke anyway with later System software.

I keep using Smart Alarms because I personally like the way it works (even
though I don't really use the Calendar because it's not integrated).  A
colleague who bought it despite my recommendation (do as I say, not as I do :-)
is now purchasing Alarming Events.

--

peterhi@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Peter Hickman) (01/04/91)

In article <1841@blackbird.afit.af.mil> lriggins (L. Maurice Riggins)

| [ Refutes Klaus' statement that there is a problem with SC and blames it in
|   his system set up - You're not a support manager are you Maurice? ]
|
| Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

Well SC hangs on me as well and I have ( due to my paranoid nature ) very  few
INITs and DAs ( Disinfectant, Vacsine, Named Folder and Morie ). And on double
clicking an archive it will  go into limbo, the size  of the archive does  not
seem to matter  be it  megabytes or just  a few  k. When opened  from with  SC
everything is fine. Thus I could conclude there is a problem with SC.

Peter Hi

        Peter "You're doing computing as an ARTS degree!" Hickman
      COGS U/G PH, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QH
    "Lego is the Mechano of the intellectual cripple" - Aaron Sloman
      "More beer, more shouting, resistance is useless" - USTA bars