[comp.sys.mac.system] A/UX on Mac : Need an overview

lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) (12/27/90)

i am looking into the Mac, as a new world to venture into.  i
would greatly appreciate any info on Unix running on the Mac.  i
need to know basically at least the following questions:

a)  is it the same look and feel of the typical Mac

b)  must you purchase special Mac software that only runs under A/UX

c)  does anybody make software to run on A/UX

d)  has the industry accepted it as a viable Unix platform

your input is greatly appreciated.

lou.

abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) (12/27/90)

In article <19450@netcom.UUCP>, lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) writes:
|> i am looking into the Mac, as a new world to venture into.  i
|> would greatly appreciate any info on Unix running on the Mac.  i
|> need to know basically at least the following questions:
|>
|> a)  is it the same look and feel of the typical Mac

It has some Mac look & feel features, but it also supports standard Unix
shells (prompt and all).

|> b)  must you purchase special Mac software that only runs under A/UX

The Mac OS runs as a task under A/UX.  It's the same as any other Mac OS, so
you can run anything in it you want.

|> c)  does anybody make software to run on A/UX

Anything that compiles under other Unix systems should port over easily.  If you
want graphics, you can run X-Windows, too.  I don't buy shrink-wrapped Unix
software, so I can't really say who is making what for A/UX right now.

|> d)  has the industry accepted it as a viable Unix platform

I don't know about industry, but the Air Force did.

|> your input is greatly appreciated.

No problem.  Hope it helped.

|> lou.

-Drew

--
Andrew Bennett          abennett@mit.edu
MIT Room 11-124H        abennett%athena@mitvma.bitnet

Lou.Pendley@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Lou Pendley) (12/28/90)

i am looking into the Mac, as a new world to venture into.  i
would greatly appreciate any info on Unix running on the Mac.  i
need to know basically at least the following questions:

a)  is it the same look and feel of the typical Mac

b)  must you purchase special Mac software that only runs under A/UX

c)  does anybody make software to run on A/UX

d)  has the industry accepted it as a viable Unix platform

your input is greatly appreciated.

lou.

guest}

--
Lou Pendley - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Lou.Pendley

daven@svc.portal.com (12/28/90)

In article <19450@netcom.UUCP> lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) writes:
>i am looking into the Mac, as a new world to venture into.  i
>would greatly appreciate any info on Unix running on the Mac.  i
>need to know basically at least the following questions:
>
>a)  is it the same look and feel of the typical Mac

Very much so! Mac applications still look like Mac applications. The
Finder running ontop of A/UX makes UNIX partitions look like regular
Mac partitions. You can of course bring up a shell with a command
line interface, but you still have a Mac-like window the shell lives
in. Also, many UNIX commands have "Commando" interfaces. This means
you get a window that shows all or most of the commands options and
switches. I find this much easier for issuing commands that I'm not
very familiar with. If you've ever used Commando under MPW, you'll
know what A/UX's Commando is like.

>b)  must you purchase special Mac software that only runs under A/UX

I suppose some companies do this, but if the software expects to run
under System 7.0, chances are it will run under A/UX without any
modification. For example, our program MicroPhone II v3.0 runs just
fine under A/UX. We don't sell a special version just for A/UX.

>c)  does anybody make software to run on A/UX

Most people make software that is compatible with A/UX, but doesn't
take special advantage of A/UX. These packages must run in the
MultiFinder process of A/UX. Apple is encouraging developers to
write software for A/UX that uses the Mac Toolbox, but runs as
a seperate process rather than a sub-process of MultiFinder. How
much software of this type exists I can't guess at.

>d)  has the industry accepted it as a viable Unix platform

I don't really know. I do know that I like the Mac Interface running
on A/UX. I like it better than NeXTStep or OpenLook. I also like
the fact that Apple has done a better job at hiding UNIX than NeXT
has. There is no Commando like feature under NeXTStep that I know
of, and I hate looking up command line options. I hate command lines
period! With A/UX I see the command line far less often that with
NeXTStep.

   Dave Newman              |  daven@svc.portal.com        |  AppleLink: D0025
   Sofware Ventures Corp.   |  AOL: MicroPhone             |  CIS: 76004,2161
   Berkeley, CA  94705      |  WELL: tinman@well.sf.ca.us  |  (415) 644-3232

Andrew.Bennett@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Andrew Bennett) (12/28/90)

In article <19450@netcom.UUCP>, lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) writes:
I> i am looking into the Mac, as a new world to venture into.  i
I> would greatly appreciate any info on Unix running on the Mac.  i
I> need to know basically at least the following questions:
I>
I> a)  is it the same look and feel of the typical Mac

It has some Mac look & feel features, but it also supports standard Unix
shells (prompt and all).

I> b)  must you purchase special Mac software that only runs under A/UX

The Mac OS runs as a task under A/UX.  It's the same as any other Mac OS, so
you can run anything in it you want.

I> c)  does anybody make software to run on A/UX

Anything that compiles under other Unix systems should port over easily.  If
you
want graphics, you can run X-Windows, too.  I don't buy shrink-wrapped Unix
software, so I can't really say who is making what for A/UX right now.

I> d)  has the industry accepted it as a viable Unix platform

I don't know about industry, but the Air Force did.

I> your input is greatly appreciated.

No problem.  Hope it helped.

I> lou.

-Drew

--
Andrew Bennett          abennett@mit.edu
MIT Room 11-124H        abennett%athena@mitvma.bitnet
77 Massachusetts Ave.   Phone: (617) 253-7174
Cambridge, MA  02139    <Standard disclaimers apply>
--

--
Andrew Bennett - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Andrew.Bennett

daven@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (daven) (12/28/90)

In article <19450@netcom.UUCP> lpendley@netcom.UUCP (Lou Pendley) writes:
>i am looking into the Mac, as a new world to venture into.  i
>would greatly appreciate any info on Unix running on the Mac.  i
>need to know basically at least the following questions:
>
>a)  is it the same look and feel of the typical Mac

Very much so! Mac applications still look like Mac applications. The
Finder running ontop of A/UX makes UNIX partitions look like regular
Mac partitions. You can of course bring up a shell with a command
line interface, but you still have a Mac-like window the shell lives
in. Also, many UNIX commands have "Commando" interfaces. This means
you get a window that shows all or most of the commands options and
switches. I find this much easier for issuing commands that I'm not
very familiar with. If you've ever used Commando under MPW, you'll
know what A/UX's Commando is like.

>b)  must you purchase special Mac software that only runs under A/UX

I suppose some companies do this, but if the software expects to run
under System 7.0, chances are it will run under A/UX without any
modification. For example, our program MicroPhone II v3.0 runs just
fine under A/UX. We don't sell a special version just for A/UX.

>c)  does anybody make software to run on A/UX

Most people make software that is compatible with A/UX, but doesn't
take special advantage of A/UX. These packages must run in the
MultiFinder process of A/UX. Apple is encouraging developers to
write software for A/UX that uses the Mac Toolbox, but runs as
a seperate process rather than a sub-process of MultiFinder. How
much software of this type exists I can't guess at.

>d)  has the industry accepted it as a viable Unix platform

I don't really know. I do know that I like the Mac Interface running
on A/UX. I like it better than NeXTStep or OpenLook. I also like
the fact that Apple has done a better job at hiding UNIX than NeXT
has. There is no Commando like feature under NeXTStep that I know
of, and I hate looking up command line options. I hate command lines
period! With A/UX I see the command line far less often that with
NeXTStep.

   Dave Newman              I  daven@svc.portal.com        I  AppleLink: D0025
   Sofware Ventures Corp.   I  AOL: MicroPhone             I  CIS: 76004,2161
   Berkeley, CA  94705      I  WELL: tinman@well.sf.ca.us  I  (415) 644-3232

--
daven - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!daven

gee@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Thomas Gee ) (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec27.145308.22612@athena.mit.edu> abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) writes:
>|> b)  must you purchase special Mac software that only runs under A/UX
>
>The Mac OS runs as a task under A/UX.  It's the same as any other Mac OS, so
>you can run anything in it you want.

Not quite true.  I have a number of programs that bomb hideously under A/UX.
Not surprisingly, *many* INIT's and CDEV's do not run under A/UX.  In my
experience, this includes both Moire (it runs, but clicking on the Control Panel
entry freezes the computer) and QuicKeys (both versions 1 & 2).

As well, I run into continual problems with collisions between access
permissions and Mac applications.  Many (most?) applications have *very bad*
error recovery and announcement facilities.  A case in point: MacWrite II.
Like most Unix systems, I set the access permissions on "/" to 666
(thats "dr-xr-xr-x" for you beginners :-).  MacWrite II creates a temporary
file under "/".  So, invoke MacWrite II and CRASH (panic: alloc: dup alloc).
Lovely.  Very graceful.

>|> c)  does anybody make software to run on A/UX
>
>Anything that compiles under other Unix systems should port over easily.  If you
>want graphics, you can run X-Windows, too.  I don't buy shrink-wrapped Unix
>software, so I can't really say who is making what for A/UX right now.

I think there's a list of A/UX software on sumex.

>|> lou.
>
>-Drew

Overall, despite my negative comments, I'm very pleased with A/UX.  I was
slightly horrified at first when I was asked to work on a Mac (being a
reasonably old-time Unix fanatic), but A/UX has since assuaged my fears.  The
developers have done a wonderful job of integrating two operating systems (and
more importantly operating system paradigms) in a remarkably transparent
manner.  Nice package!

Tom.
Thomas Gee       |
Aerospace Group  | a man in search of a quote
DCIEM, DND       |
Canada           | gee@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

Disclaimer: I am not the official voice of DCIEM.

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (12/29/90)

Followups diverted to comp.unix.aux, since this is pretty Unix-specific stuff
here...

gee@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Thomas Gee ) writes:
>As well, I run into continual problems with collisions between access
>permissions and Mac applications.  Many (most?) applications have *very bad*
>error recovery and announcement facilities.
  Very true, but I'm not sure how much that's got to do with your problems
here...

>                                            A case in point: MacWrite II.
>Like most Unix systems, I set the access permissions on "/" to 666
>(thats "dr-xr-xr-x" for you beginners :-).
I hope you actually set it to 755 or 755 (that's "drwxr-xr-x" or "dr-xr-xr-x");
setting it to 666 ("drw-rw-rw-") will cause all sorts of havoc for programs
that expect to be able to use paths starting from "/" (i.e. practically
everything).

>(thats "dr-xr-xr-x" for you beginners :-).  MacWrite II creates a temporary
>file under "/".  So, invoke MacWrite II and CRASH (panic: alloc: dup alloc).
>Lovely.  Very graceful.

  I *seriously* doubt that anything MacWrite II did caused that panic,
except insofar as MacWrite happened to find a part of your filesystem that
was corrupted.  That panic (meaning that the filesystem code tried to
allocate a block that was already allocated to some file) means that some
part of the filesystem structure on disk was seriously confused.  Be sure
to run fsck on that filesystem as soon as possible just to make sure
there's nothing still wrong with it.  As for running MacWrite II under A/UX,
I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has done it without problems (personally,I
use Epoch and TeX and avoid Mac word processors like the plague :-).  I'll
ask him next chance I get to see if there's anything special he had to do...

  While I'm here, I might as well comment on one way in which Unix-style
permissions help MacOS a lot.  I'm sure all of you who use MacOS have
experienced the dread disorder of Creeping System Corruption, where your
system starts to act more and more strangely until you surrender and re-install
the System.  Well, this happened to me under A/UX on the copy of the System
used to run MacOS programs under A/UX, so after re-installing the System file
from the distribution disks, I changed it to mode 444 (that's r--r--r--,
i.e. read-only, for you beginners :-).  Funny, but I haven't had a case
of Creeping System Corruption since...
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

Thomas.Gee@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Thomas Gee) (12/29/90)

Bennett) writes:
>I> b)  must you purchase special Mac software that only runs under A/UX
>
>The Mac OS runs as a task under A/UX.  It's the same as any other Mac OS, so
>you can run anything in it you want.

Not quite true.  I have a number of programs that bomb hideously under A/UX.
Not surprisingly, *many* INIT's and CDEV's do not run under A/UX.  In my
experience, this includes both Moire (it runs, but clicking on the Control Panel
entry freezes the computer) and QuicKeys (both versions 1 & 2).

As well, I run into continual problems with collisions between access
permissions and Mac applications.  Many (most?) applications have *very bad*
error recovery and announcement facilities.  A case in point: MacWrite II.
Like most Unix systems, I set the access permissions on "/" to 666
(thats "dr-xr-xr-x" for you beginners :-).  MacWrite II creates a temporary
file under "/".  So, invoke MacWrite II and CRASH (panic: alloc: dup alloc).
Lovely.  Very graceful.

>I> c)  does anybody make software to run on A/UX
>
>Anything that compiles under other Unix systems should port over easily.  If
you
>want graphics, you can run X-Windows, too.  I don't buy shrink-wrapped Unix
>software, so I can't really say who is making what for A/UX right now.

I think there's a list of A/UX software on sumex.

>I> lou.
>
>-Drew

Overall, despite my negative comments, I'm very pleased with A/UX.  I was
slightly horrified at first when I was asked to work on a Mac (being a
reasonably old-time Unix fanatic), but A/UX has since assuaged my fears.  The
developers have done a wonderful job of integrating two operating systems (and
more importantly operating system paradigms) in a remarkably transparent
manner.  Nice package!

Tom.
Thomas Gee       I
Aerospace Group  I a man in search of a quote
DCIEM, DND       I
Canada           I gee@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

Disclaimer: I am not the official voice of DCIEM.

--
Thomas Gee - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Thomas.Gee

goldfarb@eola.cs.ucf.edu (Benjamin I. Goldfarb) (01/05/91)

What no one has said yet is that there are many incompatibilities with
various pieces of add-on hardware that work fine under MacOS but whose
manufacturers have not yet decided to support A/UX and maybe never will.
Some examples are the HP DeskWriter, The Irwin 5080 tape drive, the
Orchid MacSprint II cache accelerator for Mac II, and the Ven-Tel 2400E internal
modem for Mac II. I have talked with the various manufacturers and found that
they basically don't want to put out the effort to write the necessary
software.

Also, Adobe ATM doesn't work.

I'm beta-testing an ethernet card at present. There is no Mac II support
for it.

Get the picture?

On the positive side, there is a large list of third-party products for A/UX
that is available by ftp from Apple.

The moral is, if you're starting out fresh and you're not planning to buy
any non-mainstream Apple stuff, A/UX MAY be ok for you.

Ben Goldfarb				uucp: {decvax,uflorida}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
University of Central Florida		Internet: goldfarb@eola.cs.ucf.edu
Department of Computer Science