[comp.sys.mac.system] Status of Macintalk 2.0

gergely@cs.dal.ca (Peter J Gergely) (01/07/91)

While I was on GENIE I noticed that Macintalk 2.0 was available with
the standard Apple Licensing for download.  This version is compatible
with system 6.0.7 and 7.0.

1.  Is Apple still supporting the product.
2.  Is this an official release.

It was my impression that no further development would be done to
Macintalk, why the change?

	- Peter

P.S.  Please do not send me any requests to get you Macintalk 2.0.  I
will not send it to anyone due to the Apple License on the GENIE
download.
--
Peter J. Gergely (MC/ORD, MCHQ, FMO Halifax, Halifax, NS)
      INTERNET or UUCP:  gergely@cs.dal.ca

shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) (01/07/91)

I've got MacinTalk 2.0 but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.
I suppose they haven't added anything significant besides 6.07
compatibility... I was hoping they would add the female voice like it
was "promised".  Have they added anything?

% t-o-m  s-h-o-r-e-s

"It's fallen and I can't get it up" --That old lady's husband

rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roby Sherman) (01/07/91)

In <shores.663206702@fergvax> shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) writes:

>I've got MacinTalk 2.0 but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.
>I suppose they haven't added anything significant besides 6.07
>compatibility... I was hoping they would add the female voice like it
>was "promised".  Have they added anything?

Don't get used to having MacInTalk too much longer! Word from Apple is that
it will no longer be supported at all, in System 7!

Au Revior, talking moose! ...sniff!!

-- Roby

--
Roby Sherman      | Ye olde Nets : rsherman@mthvax.cs.edu
//Interealm\\     +-----------------------------------------------------------

peter@viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) (01/07/91)

	Does anybody know if Macintalk 2.0 is on AOL? I didn't see last time
I checked.
	PC
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/08/91)

From article <1991Jan07.040624.16141@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, by rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roby Sherman):
> Don't get used to having MacInTalk too much longer! Word from Apple is that
> it will no longer be supported at all, in System 7!

The obvious question, which I've seen asked but nowhere answered, is:
"will there be some sort of replacement, commercial or not?"  So I'll
ask it again, as well as: "will there be a programming library if the
answer to the other question is "yes"?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (01/08/91)

--

Yes, I also have that.

Did you notice that the version number in STR resource said 1.41 dated
in '87?

Did you also notice that the the vers resources said copyright 88-89 but
the modification date is '90?

No, I did not try it.  My old MacinTalk 1.31 still works with System 6.0.7
and HyperCard 2.0 on my IIcx.  So, I am happy (for now).

Live Long and Perspire!
__Mouse.o()~              | AppleLink: U1364 ------ BITNET: mouse@untvax
Dhanapong Saengrussamee   | BIX: d.mouse.s ------ Compu$erve: 71301,1516
Tech'Support, CECS & TCET | GEnie: d.saengrussa ------- IP:129.120.20.10
University of North Texas | Internet: mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ----- GMT+6
PO Box 5155 - UNT Station | UUCP: ...!uunet!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse
Denton, TX 76203-5155     | Phone: (817) 565-4435 -- FAX: (817) 565-4425

rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roby Sherman) (01/08/91)

In <3702@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:

>The obvious question, which I've seen asked but nowhere answered, is:
>"will there be some sort of replacement, commercial or not?"  So I'll
>ask it again, as well as: "will there be a programming library if the
>answer to the other question is "yes"?

Who knows what projects, lurk in the minds on Apple Software Engineers? Only
the shadow knows...

If I could answer that, I'd probably be working for them... And IN that
case, I'd be under non-disclosure and wouldn't be able to say anyway!

We'll just have to wait and see...

-- Robes

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Apple. (Lord knows I want to though!)
--

HMPQC@CUNYVM.BITNET (01/08/91)

rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roby Sherman) writes:

> Don't get used to having MacInTalk too much longer! Word from Apple
> is that it will no longer be supported at all, in System 7!
>
> Au Revior, talking moose! ...sniff!!

I'm running System 7.0b1 and MacinTalk 2.0 works somewhat, at least with
the LipService cdev. It doesn't work with TalkingMoose 2.0 (shareware version),
but
I think that's a problem with TalkingMoose. I haven't tried TM version 3.0
(the commercial version) yet. Stay tuned...

Apple also said that MacinTalk would never be supported again (Tech Note 268),
but now there's version 2.0, so whom are we to believe?

-------

Henry M. Pita      ...o^o ...o^o ...o^o        Internet: hmpqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
                       ...o^o ...o^o             Bitnet: hmpqc@cunyvm
                        "the peloton"                or  hpita@qcvax

Jahnke@brahms.biosci.arizona.edu (Jerome Jahnke) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan7.130908.17461@viewlogic.com> peter@viewlogic.COM (Peter
Colby) writes:

>        Does anybody know if Macintalk 2.0 is on AOL? I didn't see last time
>I checked.

Go to keyword "QUICKFINDER" and type in "MacinTalk" I know it is there and is
the mac Communications Lib (although it is buried) and is probably in a few
others as well.

>        PC
>--
>      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
>      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)
>      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)

Jer,
-----
University of Arizona
Dept of Molecular and Cellular Biology
"jahnke@brahms.biosci.arizona.edu" (602) 621-3820

AOL AFC Jer
Forum Consultant,
Macintosh Communications Fourm

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (01/10/91)

In article <91008.004541HMPQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> HMPQC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:

>I'm running System 7.0b1 and MacinTalk 2.0 works somewhat, at least with
>the LipService cdev. It doesn't work with TalkingMoose 2.0(shareware version),
>but I think that's a problem with TalkingMoose. I haven't tried TM version 3.0
>(the commercial version) yet. Stay tuned...
>
>Apple also said that MacinTalk would never be supported again (Tech Note 268),
>but now there's version 2.0, so whom are we to believe?

Keep in mind though that System 7.0b1 does NOT have any new sound manager.
It uses the same sound manager as 6.0.5... System 6.0.7 should be the more
applicable test...

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) (01/10/91)

HMPQC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>I'm running System 7.0b1 and MacinTalk 2.0 works somewhat, at least with
>the LipService cdev. It doesn't work with TalkingMoose 2.0 (shareware version),
>but
>I think that's a problem with TalkingMoose. I haven't tried TM version 3.0
>(the commercial version) yet. Stay tuned...

>Apple also said that MacinTalk would never be supported again (Tech Note 268),
>but now there's version 2.0, so whom are we to believe?

 Can someone in the know please explain what is different between Macintalk
1.31 and 2.0?

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Murphy's Law of Intelism:  Just when you thought Intel had done everything
possible to pervert the course of computer architecture, they bring out the 860

APPLEREP@MTUS5.BITNET (01/11/91)

I seem to remember that Apple announced plans at the last developer's
conference to release a new, vastly improved, and supported (!) version
of Macintalk.  I also think they said that it would take about a year to
develop, but at this point my memory is kind-of fuzzy.  (I'm still recovering
from New Year's Eve.)

Tom Amberg
Apple Student Rep
Michigan Tech

cortesi@informix.com (David Cortesi) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.014419.7505@wpi.WPI.EDU> macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
:>In article <91008.004541HMPQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> HMPQC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
:>I'm running System 7.0b1 and MacinTalk 2.0 works somewhat, at least with
:>the LipService cdev. It doesn't work with TalkingMoose 2.0...

>Keep in mind though that System 7.0b1 does NOT have any new sound manager.
>It uses the same sound manager as 6.0.5... System 6.0.7 should be the more
>applicable test...

In an SE/30 running 6.0.7 the commercial version of the Moose works
just fine under single and multifinder.  I have not tested any other
MacinTalk uses (I have a couple of shareware XCMDs that use it) but
the Moose is as verbose as ever.

Does this mean that the "real" Sound Manager hasn't arrived?  Or did
the Apple programmers do a much better job than they planned on?