[comp.sys.mac.system] PrintMonitor problemsRe: MultiFinder Programmer's Guide question 4)

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (01/11/91)

In <3724@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral)
complains that, as soon as a page starts printing on a LaserWriter
via PrintMonitor, his system responsiveness is almost completely gone
until the page has finished printing.

I have no such problem with PrintMonitor. The only effect I notice
on my machine (a vintage Mac II running System 6.0.7 and MultiFinder 6.1b9)
is that mouse tracking goes just a little bit funny while background
printing is in progress. This is a much milder version of the symptom you
get when doing floppy I/O, where interrupts get disabled for long periods
of time. This to me is a sign that PrintMonitor is doing most of its
work asynchronously at interrupt level, which is quite a reasonable design,
not subject to the vagaries of time-slicing under MultiFinder.

Anyway, the point is, PrintMonitor works fine for me.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00
"Half the lies they print about me aren't true." -- Mike Moore

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (01/13/91)

In article <1991Jan11.182405.2673@waikato.ac.nz> ldo@waikato.ac.nz
(Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>I have no such problem with PrintMonitor. The only effect I notice
>on my machine (a vintage Mac II running System 6.0.7 and MultiFinder 6.1b9)
>is that mouse tracking goes just a little bit funny while background
>printing is in progress. This is a much milder version of the symptom you
>get when doing floppy I/O, where interrupts get disabled for long periods
>of time. This to me is a sign that PrintMonitor is doing most of its
>work asynchronously at interrupt level, which is quite a reasonable design,
>not subject to the vagaries of time-slicing under MultiFinder.
>
>Anyway, the point is, PrintMonitor works fine for me.

I have used PrintMonitor since it was released, on a wide variety of
II-series Macs, and my experience has been consistently worse than you
describe and closer to what Paul describes.  System responsiveness
plummets; there are several-second-long lockout of user events which I
presume mean that PrintMonitor is declining to cede time to other
processes.  I am quite sure it runs from the event loop, and not in
an interrupt-driven way.

"I believe that bigfeet from outer space are stealing ships
from the Bermuda triangle area.  Prove me wrong."
	-- Bob Dainauski, RAD101@psuvm.psu.edu, on sci.skeptic