[comp.sys.mac.system] What is the latest version of Desktop Manager?

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (01/16/91)

	The subject line says it all.  I have version 2.0.1 running on
	System 6.0.7.  I have had a problem with the MS Word documents being
	recognized as such correctly.  Dragging the MS Word application to
	the mac desktop (i.e. the area where the trashcan resides) seem to
	permanently fixed the problem.  If I don't use the Desktop Manager,
	I didn't have this problem.

	For those of you who don't know the Desktop Manager is a AppleShare
	startup document that speeds up the opening of large directories.
	The Desktop Manager works even if you don't use AppleShare.

	Many thanks,

	=Mike

--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) (01/17/91)

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:

>	For those of you who don't know the Desktop Manager is a AppleShare
>	startup document that speeds up the opening of large directories.
>	The Desktop Manager works even if you don't use AppleShare.

Speaking of which...

Now that I have a 105 Mb disk online, watching the ``Updating Desktop
File'' message on my SE's screen gets pretty tiring.  I need to remember
to start up with Finder so I can rebuild the desktop sometime soon here
(don't have enough memory to accomplish the task under MF).  I don't
know if that will help or not.  It doesn't seem to me like a new hard
disk hasn't had enough time to get a messed up Desktop file.

Anyway, it is my understanding that the Desktop Manager might be the
answer to my problems.  So my question is, Where can I get it?  (Please
don't say my Apple Dealer.  The nearest dealer is 55 miles away, making
for a 110 mile round trip to get *anything* from them.)  I have access
to both apple.com and CompuServe, if it's at either place.

Thanks,

--
Geoff Allen          \  Computers are useless.
uunet!pmafire!geoff   \  They can only give you answers.

Not too long ago, I wrote:
>So my question is, Where can I get it?  (Please
>don't say my Apple Dealer.  The nearest dealer is 55 miles away, making
>for a 110 mile round trip to get *anything* from them.)  I have access
>to both apple.com and CompuServe, if it's at either place.

Wow!

I've come to expect responses from the net in a day or two, but I've
received *several* answers to the above question within a few hours
(thanks guys!).

For those who are interested, the Desktop Manager is on apple.com as
part of /pub/dts/hacks/Oscar.hqx.

--

geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) writes:
>For those who are interested, the Desktop Manager is on apple.com as
>part of /pub/dts/hacks/Oscar.hqx.

Umm...

Make that /pub/dts/mac/hacks/Oscar.hqx.
                   ^^^