[comp.sys.mac.system] Backgrounder -- what is it?

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/04/91)

Just what exactly does Backgrounder do?  Hang around looking in the
spool folder and fire off PrintMonitor if there's anything there?

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

colella@emav51.webo.dg.com (Wayne Colella) (01/04/91)

On a similar note, what does "responder" do?  I think it's an init that
comes with the system software.

	Wayne Colella	colella@emav51.webo.dg.com

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) (01/07/91)

colella@emav51.webo.dg.com (Wayne Colella) writes:

>On a similar note, what does "responder" do?  I think it's an init that
>comes with the system software.

I believe Responder creates and binds a socket on AppleTalk networks, doing
nothing, just so managers can see what's out there.

Mark Lanett

ask.helpline@applelink.apple.com (Howard Hudson) (01/19/91)

Responder is used by the InterPoll Network Administration utility to help
debug network faults.  It can tell InterPoll the name of your machine as
well as software versions and machine type.  It is handy on a network but
of little utility otherwise.

HH

That's all folks!