[comp.sys.mac.system] Namer Utility

n67786@lehtori.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (01/21/91)

In article <42842@ut-emx.uucp> xdaa374@ut-emx.uucp (William T. Douglass) writes:

   Can anyone steer me towards a utility that can rename a LaserWriter that
   sits on another zone?  The Apple utility "The Namer' only searches in the
   current zone.  I'm using version 2.1, dated March '86.

   Thanks much (btw - it's for a zone not physically in this building, so it's
   more than a matter of convenience.)

I have a question on a related topic. How is one supposed to rename
other Network resources besides printers. I have a shiva NetSerial on an
AppleTalk network and would like to give it a more descriptive name. The
shiva NetSerial software distribution did not include a utility for
renaming the boxes. Is there a utility that is capable of renaming
devices from different vendors.
--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

HMPQC@CUNYVM.BITNET (01/22/91)

>Can anyone steer me towards a utility that can rename a LaserWriter that
>sits on another zone?  The Apple utility "The Namer' only searches in the
>current zone.  I'm using version 2.1, dated March '86.
>
>Thanks much (btw - it's for a zone not physically in this building, so it's
>more than a matter of convenience.)

I have not heard of the existence of such a utility. You have to move yourself
to the zone where the LaserWriter is located.
-------

Henry M. Pita      ...o^o ...o^o ...o^o        Internet: hmpqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
                       ...o^o ...o^o             Bitnet: hmpqc@cunyvm
                        "the peloton"                or  hpita@qcvax

jness@ub.d.umn.edu (Joel Ness) (01/22/91)

In article <91021.144816HMPQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> HMPQC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>>Can anyone steer me towards a utility that can rename a LaserWriter that
>>sits on another zone?  The Apple utility "The Namer' only searches in the
>>current zone.  I'm using version 2.1, dated March '86.
>>
>>Thanks much (btw - it's for a zone not physically in this building, so it's
>>more than a matter of convenience.)
>
>I have not heard of the existence of such a utility. You have to move yourself
>to the zone where the LaserWriter is located.
>-------
No, all you have to do is do what The Namer does - download the
appropriate code to the LaserWriter. You can change the name and the
"type" of the printer this way. Changing the type is handy if you picked
up the LaserWriter Driver hack which lets you change a LaserWriter's
type so that only people with the modified driver can see and print to
it.

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth			Phone: (218) 726-8841
Duluth, MN  55812

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (01/23/91)

In article <42842@ut-emx.uucp> xdaa374@ut-emx.uucp (William T. Douglass) writes:
>Can anyone steer me towards a utility that can rename a LaserWriter that
>sits on another zone?  The Apple utility "The Namer' only searches in the
>current zone.  I'm using version 2.1, dated March '86.

You've got the same version I have.  So, here's a way to do what you want.

Get a copy of a PostScript download utility, such as SendPS (or Word 4.0),
and download (print) the following PostScript program to the printer you
wish to rename:

	serverdict begin 0 exitserver
	statusdict begin
	    (LaserWriter IINT) setprintername
	    /Helvetica-Bold findfont 20 scalefont setfont
	    72 386 moveto
	    (My name is ) show
	    32 string printername show
	end