[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 Virtual Memory Question

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (01/21/91)

I have a question for all of you System 7 guru's out there.

If a Mac Plus was equiped with a 68030 board, would you be able to use VM
beyond the 4 meg limit of the Mac Pluses ROM, or would that limit still be in
effect?

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (01/22/91)

In article <0E010009.mfb5xl@stx.UUCP> world.std.com!stx!costello writes:
>Despite brave guarantees, third party -030 boards will not support AppleUs
>System 7 VM.  Negotiations are currently underway with Connectix to provide
>VM for -030 card owners so they can continue using VM with System 7.  As
>of Macworld Expo, this issue had not been settled.

  This is indeed what the 7.0b1 release notes indicated.  However, last week
I contacted the Apple Developer Hotline and asked this question.  While they
indicated that they could not be absolutely sure that System 7's virtual
memory would work on any given machine with Compact Mac ROMs, their
engineers were working on making it as compatible as possible in later Beta
releases, and they suggested that they'd do everything they could to make VM
work on upgraded Plus machines.

  Don't give up hope just yet, it's still a way to go until 7.0 goes final.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.003334.6782@clark.edu>,
gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) writes:
> I have a question for all of you System 7 guru's out there.
>
> If a Mac Plus was equiped with a 68030 board, would you be able to use VM
> beyond the 4 meg limit of the Mac Pluses ROM, or would that limit still be in
> effect?
>
> Gary

The official apple line is that virtual memory will not run on 68000 Macs that
have been upgraded to 030 by third parties. This is not out of spite, but
because they utilize ROM routines that do not appear in the Plus and SE and
Portable (don't know about the Classic). Presumably they could stick these
routines in the System and have them loaded into RAM to override the ROM
versions but the last I read (end of '90) they said they didn't want to do this
for some reason (maybe not enough demand or too much hard work).

maynard Handley

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (01/23/91)

|> I have a question for all of you System 7 guru's out there.
|>
|> If a Mac Plus was equiped with a 68030 board, would you be able to use VM
|> beyond the 4 meg limit of the Mac Pluses ROM, or would that limit still be
|>in effect?

|Despite brave guarantees, third party -030 boards will not support AppleUs
|System 7 VM.  Negotiations are currently underway with Connectix to provide
|VM for -030 card owners so they can continue using VM with System 7.  As
|of Macworld Expo, this issue had not been settled.

Huh, what would be the limiting factor?  An 030 is an 030, and a PMMU is a
PMMU isn't it.....what else would VM need?

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (01/23/91)

|This is indeed what the 7.0b1 release notes indicated.  However, last week
|I contacted the Apple Developer Hotline and asked this question.  While they
|indicated that they could not be absolutely sure that System 7's virtual
|memory would work on any given machine with Compact Mac ROMs, their
|engineers were working on making it as compatible as possible in later Beta
|releases, and they suggested that they'd do everything they could to make VM
|work on upgraded Plus machines.
|
|Don't give up hope just yet, it's still a way to go until 7.0 goes final.

Yeah, now thats what I like to here!!  Hope it all turns out all right.

Gary
---