[comp.sys.mac.system] Desk _JET_ printer drivers anymore?

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (01/17/91)

wade@hobbes.ucsd.edu (Wade Blomgren) writes:

> [...]
> Macintoshes given an appropriate driver and cable.  Is anyone using such a
> setup with a DeskJet 500?  There was a beta version of a public domain DeskJe

Yes, I have seen quite a few of these setups.

> Any suggestions for a workable solution that will allow me to use
> a DeskJet 500 with a Mac would be appreciated.

Essentially all you need is Jet-Link Express (the cable comes with it, I
believe) and you'll have the DeskJet 500 working with your Macintosh.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Software Visionary        UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

rush@mnementh.metaphor.com (Ed Rush) (01/18/91)

In article <15626@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> wade@hobbes.ucsd.edu (Wade Blomgren) writes:
>I've got an ImagewriterII, and all other things being equal I would
>consider buying an HP DeskWriter as a plug and playlaser quality replacement
>or supplement - but....my wife has a PC-compatible with no printer,
>so equity dictates that the next printer we buy be primarily for the PC.
>Before the DeskWriter came out DeskJets and DeskJet+s were usable with
>Macintoshes given an appropriate driver and cable.  Is anyone using such a
>setup with a DeskJet 500?  There was a beta version of a public domain DeskJet
>driver around, is it still being worked on?   Some of you must still
>have DeskJets, right?  What is the state of the art?
>
>Any suggestions for a workable solution that will allow me to use
>a DeskJet 500 with a Mac would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks very much,
>
>Wade Blomgren
>wade@hobbes.ucsd.edu (or wblomgren@ucsd.bitnet)

For what it's worth, my DeskWriter manual says "The DeskWriter
printer is not RS-232-C compatible."  IT does give a pinout
diagram for its port, though, so there might be a way to make
it work with your MS-Dos machine.  Might.

  Ed Rush, employed by but not speaking for
  Metaphor Computers, Mtn. View, CA
     UUCP: [...!{apple|decwrl}!]metaphor!mnementh!rush
     Internet: rush@mnementh.metaphor.com
"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly."

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (01/24/91)

In article <15626@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> wade@hobbes.ucsd.edu (Wade Blomgren) writes:
>Any suggestions for a workable solution that will allow me to use
>a DeskJet 500 with a Mac would be appreciated.

After you get a cable, you can get a free driver from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
I forget which directory it's in, but as far as I can see, it works fine.
If you want to print 300 dpi, you need 4x fonts, though.  For 150dpi (fast)
2x fonts will do.  The output is still much better than an Imagewriter even
in 150 dpi, though.  I'm actually using a DJ+, but the DJ500 is supposed to
be compatoble (except for being somewhat faster and having more built-in fonts
for the driver to ignore).

	--Steve

P.S.  I didn't need the cable because my Mac is an Atari ST with a Spectre GCR
cartridge.  The driver's for regular Macs, but it works.

>Thanks very much,
>
>Wade Blomgren
>wade@hobbes.ucsd.edu (or wblomgren@ucsd.bitnet)

--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |