[comp.sys.mac.system] Info wanted on online slide database

arora@skorpio.Berkeley.EDU (Neelam Arora) (01/29/91)

The Art and History department in our university is interested in keeping
an online database of 120,000 slides. The minimum acceptable requirement
is a display of the quality of 35 mm slide. It is also desired to have a
facility to overlay text with the slide image. The text for each individual
using the slide should be saved separately. They want to present the slides
on a 28 cm screen. Any suggestions/pointers for both hardware and software
are welcomed. We are thinking in terms of a mac based solution.

Thanks in advance

Neelam Arora
arora@skorpio.USask.ca

dolf@fwi.uva.nl (Dolf Starreveld) (02/01/91)

arora@skorpio.Berkeley.EDU (Neelam Arora) writes:

> The Art and History department in our university is interested in keeping
> an online database of 120,000 slides. The minimum acceptable requirement
> is a display of the quality of 35 mm slide. It is also desired to have a
> facility to overlay text with the slide image. The text for each individual
> using the slide should be saved separately. They want to present the slides
> on a 28 cm screen. Any suggestions/pointers for both hardware and software
> are welcomed. We are thinking in terms of a mac based solution.
You might want to check out a product called PicturePress by Storm Technology,
a Palo Alto based company. PicturePress compresses and decompressed 24-bit
color image (35 mm quality) on any Macintosh II model or SE/30.
This is done in software or, if the PicturePress accelerator is installed
(only on modular Macintoshes), in hardware. Hardware speeds the process up
by a factor of 5-30. A typical 1Mb file decompresses in about 1.35 secs.
Pricing is $199 for software, $999 for accelerator + software. Software stays
identical, hardware is transparenlty used. Also includes plugin modules for
Adobe PhotoShop for direct compression/decompression.
A compression scheme is really necessary when storing so may large
images. Storm is working with several third parties to create custom
image databases. You might want to contact Storm for further information:

Storm Technology
220 California Ave
Suite 101, Palo Alto, CA 94306
(415) 322 0506    FAX: (415) 322 2439
--
Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/5022 (FAX: 5155), TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@fwi.uva.nl (dolf%fwi.uva.nl@hp4nl.nluug.nl)