[comp.sys.mac.system] Gripes about System 7.0

bskendig@dry.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/02/91)

In article <ALAND.91Jan31172038@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) writes:
>In article <11886@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>[in reference to Sys7's ability to offer TeachText for a PICT or TEXT
>file and the customability of this 'forwarding']
>   I don't think it make sense to put this resource in the System file;
>   should any app be able to add to the System file?  It belongs in the
>   Finder, and ideally there would be a mechanism to change the resource
>   from within the Finder.
>
>Actually, I think this should be a separate file, similar to the
>desktop file, in which you could have all sorts of cross-linking
>pointers (type/creators)--Since the file (resource file) is not 'part'
>of the finder or the System, you would not have to limit the number of
>cross references which were used...

Sounds like a job for the Finder Preferences file!

Just keep a list of which applications should deal with what file
types when the creator of a file can't be found, and let this be
configurable through the control panel...

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."