[comp.sys.mac.system] How do you clean up a hard disk without initializing it

bohus@heart.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) (02/03/91)

Hi,

I ran into the following problem:

Probably because of a program which uses temporary files and crashes
sometimes (so it can't clean up), I have huge (well, several hundred k)
portions on my hard disk, which are "allocated", but SUM Tuneup and SUM
Tools can't figure out who it belongs to. Also, if I add the sizes of
the "known" files and folders I get less by about the same size than
what the System reports as "xxx kbytes on disk".
Initializing is obviously a solution, but a somewhat painful one. Is
there any other way? (I am not afraid of playing around with SUM Tools
or Resedit or something like this.)
Any suggestions? Please send email. Thanks,

gb

bohus@math.rutgers.edu

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (02/03/91)

In article <Feb.2.18.03.52.1991.1951@heart.rutgers.edu> bohus@heart.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) writes:
>[...]I have huge (Well, several hundred k)
>portions on my hard disk, which are "allocated", but SUM Tuneup and SUM
>Tools can't figure out who it belongs to. Also, if I add the sizes of
>the "known" files and folders I get less by about the same size than
>what the System reports as "xxx kbytes on disk".

Well, the size discrepancy may be due to invisible files on your disk. I
doubt sincerely that the Desktop (a dinosaur it may be) would ever get that
large, but there could by something lying around.

Have you tried the venerable Disk First Aid program? I've been in situations
where this program was quite effective at correcting those minor (or major)
directory structure problems.

Other than these, the only further suggestion I could make would be to try
to transfer all the files to another HD (effectively a backup) and do a
high-level format (just file structure... this problem probably has nothing
to do with media failure).

--
______  Bill Taroli  --  Syracuse University  |  "The only thing necessary for
\    /                                        |   the triumph of evil is for