[comp.sys.mac.system] CDEV Brightness in 6.0.7 Question

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (02/01/91)

What exactly is this new CDEV called Brightness in the
system 6.0.7, Utilities Disk #2, System Folder Additions?

I tried it on a IIcx and it doesn't even show up in
the control panel.  Is it for a classic,IIsi, IIlc or
a portable or what?
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/01/91)

In article <5741@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>What exactly is this new CDEV called Brightness in the
>system 6.0.7, Utilities Disk #2, System Folder Additions?
>
>I tried it on a IIcx and it doesn't even show up in
>the control panel.  Is it for a classic,IIsi, IIlc or
>a portable or what?

It lets you adjust the screen brightness on a Macintosh Classic, which
has no external brightness dial like the one on an SE or a Plus.  (I
guess the Apple people decided that a hardware dial was too difficult
for a user to figure out, so they moved it to the Control Panel.)

It seems to me that they probably did this because they thought the
software-controlled brightness on a NeXT was neat, but this leaves two
important questions:

(1) Why is the cdev put on my SE by the Installer?  Weird.

(2) On the NeXT, if you inadvertently bring the screen too dim to see,
you can use the brightness keys on the keyboard to lighten things back
up again.  On the Mac Classic, there *are* no such keys, so if you
bring the screen too dim to read, and you lose where the brightness
slider on the screen is in relation to your mouse...  you're out of
luck!

I guess that's how Apple is selling so many Classics: when you bring
the screen all the way dim, you have to throw out the unit and get a
new one!

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (Bob Jenner) (02/01/91)

In article <5741@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> What exactly is this new CDEV called Brightness in the
> system 6.0.7, Utilities Disk #2, System Folder Additions?
It is for the Classic which does not have a brightness control.
Regards,

Bob Jenner, Northern Territory University
Computing Dep't.
PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT Australia 0810
Tel 089-466397

alexr@apple.com (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (02/02/91)

In article <5853@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian
Kendig) writes about the Brightness cdev from System 6.0.7:
> (1) Why is the cdev put on my SE by the Installer?  Weird.

You chose "System Software for Macintosh SE" or used Easy Install. Both of
these are "full" installations for your machine. An installation of this
type includes the equivalent of a "Minimum System Software for all
machines." When 6.0.7 was made, the definition of a "minimal" system
included "features" specific to that machine, such as the Brightness cdev
for the Classic and the Portable cdev for the Portable. (Note that both
machines work just fine without these files installed, only that some
"features" are missing.)

The jist of all this is that the system you installed on your SE can boot
any other type of Macintosh as if it were a "minimal" system. This avoids
one hell of a lot of hassle on everybody's part. Really.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@apple.com      - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!apple!alexr        - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     -                                - Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-  (408) 974-3110          - nobody cares what I say.       -             -

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/05/91)

In article <5853@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
|In article <5741@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
|>What exactly is this new CDEV called Brightness in the
|>system 6.0.7, Utilities Disk #2, System Folder Additions?
|
|(2) On the NeXT, if you inadvertently bring the screen too dim to see,
|you can use the brightness keys on the keyboard to lighten things back
|up again.  On the Mac Classic, there *are* no such keys, so if you
|bring the screen too dim to read, and you lose where the brightness
|slider on the screen is in relation to your mouse...  you're out of
|luck!

Oh, geez.  When the Brightness cdev is open, the 0-9 keys works just fine for
adjusting screen brightness.  Also, at 0 the screen is not totally black, so
if you were to turn the brightness down to 0, then close the Control Panel,
you would still be able to see enough to re-open the Control Panel and hit the
appropriate key.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone