[comp.sys.mac.system] Questions about Memory Manager Init for IIci

mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) (01/31/91)

I've just downloaded the Memory Manager Fix Init for my Mac IIci.  I
haven't tried it yet, however (mostly because I don't have anything handy
to check to see if it's working).

Is the MM Init needed with System 6.0.5?  Will Apple fix the Memory Manager
problems in a later version of the system?

What is the best way to tell if things are better other than "Uhh... it
seems to be running faster"?

Thanks,
-- michael
Michael McGuffey, Director	  BITNET:   mcguffey@marshall
Office of Institutional Research  Internet: mcguffey@marshall.wvnet.edu
Marshall University		  Phone:    304/696-3212
Huntington, WV 25755		  FAX:      304/696-3601

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Arnaud Gourdol) (02/04/91)

In article <36702@muvms3.bitnet> mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey)
writes:
>Is the MM Init needed with System 6.0.5?  Will Apple fix the Memory Manager
>problems in a later version of the system?

This INIT is not *needed*. You need it only if you are working with an
application that turns to be slower on you Mac IIfx or Mac IIci than on a
regular Mac II, Mac IIx or Mac IIcx. In which case, it shows that the
application you are using has a particular way of handling memory (with many
handles) and that the bug of the Memory Manager slows it down.
If your Mac is working OK, don't use it.

This Memory Manager bug is already fixed in the ROM :-)
There are TWO memory manager in the ROMs of the Mac IIfx and Mac IIci, a 24-bit
Memory Manager and a 32-bit Memory-Manager. The bug only exists in the 24-bit
version. Sadly enough, the System 6 can only use the buggy Memory Manager.
However, the long promised and mythical System 7 can use the 32-bit Manager, so
there's no real need for a fix.

Arnaud.

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (02/05/91)

In article <17683@imag.imag.fr>, gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Arnaud Gourdol) writes...
>This Memory Manager bug is already fixed in the ROM :-)
>There are TWO memory manager in the ROMs of the Mac IIfx and Mac IIci, a 24-bit
>Memory Manager and a 32-bit Memory-Manager. The bug only exists in the 24-bit

Are you sure about that? I'm working from memory ;-), but I'm fairly certain
 the bug exists in both memory managers.

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com