[comp.sys.mac.system] Probs with Multi Finder/DA`s

hess@rospc1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Hauke Hess) (02/05/91)

Hello,

I own a Mac+ with 2,5 MB (finally), and everytime I activate the Multifinder,
my DA`s are disabled, in a way that if I click at any DA entry in the apple menu
 there would only come the bootup-bonnngg and nothing more.
If I disable the multifinder, there is nothing special about anything, DA`s work
and programs too. Under multifinder, all except DA`s works also.

Is there any utility residing in my Systemfolder, which permits using DA under
multifinder or are there memory restrictions somewhere?

Hauke Hess/Uni Hamburg

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/05/91)

In article <hess.665759848@rospc1> hess@rospc1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Hauke Hess) writes:
|I own a Mac+ with 2,5 MB (finally), and everytime I activate the Multifinder,
|my DA`s are disabled,
|
|Is there any utility residing in my Systemfolder, which permits using DA under
|multifinder or are there memory restrictions somewhere?

You are missing the "DA Handler" file.  This file must be in your System Folder
in order for DAs to work under MultiFinder.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) (02/05/91)

hess@rospc1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Hauke Hess) writes:

>Hello,

>I own a Mac+ with 2,5 MB (finally), and everytime I activate the Multifinder,
>my DA`s are disabled, in a way that if I click at any DA entry in the apple menu
> there would only come the bootup-bonnngg and nothing more.
>If I disable the multifinder, there is nothing special about anything, DA`s work
>and programs too. Under multifinder, all except DA`s works also.

>Is there any utility residing in my Systemfolder, which permits using DA under
>multifinder or are there memory restrictions somewhere?

>Hauke Hess/Uni Hamburg

Make sure the file "DA Handler" is in your system folder...this program is
called when you open a DA, and acts as a multifinder shell for all DAs...
I think you can also press the option (or is it command?) key when
selecting a DA to get it to open in the current application's partition...

-John Boswell
Department of Chemistry
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (02/05/91)

(Hauke Hess) writes:
> I own a Mac+ with 2,5 MB (finally), and everytime I activate the
Multifinder,
> my DA`s are disabled, in a way that if I click at any DA entry in the
apple menu
>  there would only come the bootup-bonnngg and nothing more.
> If I disable the multifinder, there is nothing special about anything,
DA`s work
> and programs too. Under multifinder, all except DA`s works also.
>
> Is there any utility residing in my Systemfolder, which permits using DA
under
> multifinder or are there memory restrictions somewhere?

It sounds like the file "DA Handler" is missing from your System Folder.
If you "installed" Multifinder just by dragging it into your System
Folder, you are going to be missing other files that implement other
features of the MultiFinder environment. I suggest you re-install the
System using the Installer.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000