[comp.sys.mac.system] Mac + and HD 20

kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) (02/06/91)

At the computer lab we've got an old Mac+ with an Apple harddisk 20,
the kind you connect to the floppy drive port. The thing worked fine
till somebody installed system 6.0.5 onto it. Now it won't mount the
harddisk any more.
We looked for the old system disks, but they are nowhere to be found.
Could it be the harddisk just died, or is it the system which screwed
the hd up ? Would installing an old system fix the problem. If so,
where can I find such an old system ? How exactly did these harddrives
work ?

Karl

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) (02/08/91)

In article <1752@n-kulcs.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) writes:
>At the computer lab we've got an old Mac+ with an Apple harddisk 20,
>the kind you connect to the floppy drive port. The thing worked fine
>till somebody installed system 6.0.5 onto it. Now it won't mount the
>harddisk any more.
>We looked for the old system disks, but they are nowhere to be found.
>Could it be the harddisk just died, or is it the system which screwed
>the hd up ? Would installing an old system fix the problem. If so,
>where can I find such an old system ? How exactly did these harddrives
>work ?

You have to be sure to "Install full" the disk; I had problems getting
6.0.5 to deal with 128K ROMs until I did.

If you want to get the hard disk back, probably boot from floppy and
possibly use one of the multifarious disk fixers.  Norton's was at
work and saved a Syquest removable yesterday - slick and quick!  The
drive was fine but the directory kept getting worse.

I also found that I had to run the Hard Disk utility to reformat my
20MB (SCSI) drive before:  a) my Portable could access it at all;
and b) I could use it with System 6.0.5.

I realize that you are using the floppy-port "Hard Disk 20" - I
could plug mine in to see but I took it out of the loop a couple of
weeks ago.

Just try sticking in "System Tools 6.0.5" into the floppy drive when
you power up to boot from floppy and use the Installer to put up a
"complete" set of the system software.  It works fine now, here.

There is also a cdev called "SCSI Probe" which like some similar
utilities goes off and mounts an unmounted SCSI device.

Have fun.

--
Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
Here:  laird@chinet.chi.il.us		Long Live the Usenet!