[comp.sys.mac.system] I ruined my hard disk with System 7.0

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) (01/31/91)

I have been a naughty boy. Daddy told me not to play with fire. I did
so anyway, got badly burned, and am now running crying to Mama.

Substitute 'Apple' for 'Daddy', 'System 7.0' for 'fire' and 'this
group' for 'Mama', and you have my current problem in a nutshell.

I suppose some people will just shrug, laugh, and say that it's my
own fault. But perhaps some of you will take pity on me, and
try to help me.

The situation:

I have an SE/30 with a 40Mb internal hard disk and a 170 Mb external hard
disk. Both disks had system 6.0.7 installed, with the external disk as
my startup disk.

When I was offered the chance to try out the System 7.0 beta, I jumped
at it. But I had not enough empty diskettes at the time; and unthinkingly
I did something incredibly stupid: I copied all the original System 7.0
diskettes to the external hard disk in order to store them temporarily
until I got me some new diskettes.

Forgetting of course the simple fact that the Mac was not going to like
all those new system files now residing on my startup disk.

If I turn on my Mac, I get the diskette icon with the flashing question
mark, i.e. it does not even recognize the (unchanged) internal hard disk.
It does not matter if the external disk is turned on or off.

Floppy (6.0.x) startups are possible, but neither of the two hard disks
then gets recognized or mounted. Silverlining tells me that SCSI ports
0 and 6 are 'in use' but it doesn't know with what ('0 Mb Drive').
If I disconnect the external disk from the SCSI port (and only then) will
the Mac start up correctly using the internal hard disk. No problem.

The next thing I tried was installing 7.0 correctly on the internal disk,
but the Mac still only starts up if the external hard disk is not connected
to the SCSI port.
(And yes, system 7.0 looks really great, but all of a sudden I don't care
so much about that any more :-( )

Can anybody tell me what happened and what I can possibly do to make
my external disk readable again?

Finally: yes, I have backups of (almost) everything that was on that
external disk - I am not *that* stupid. But I would prefer doing a
reformat only if there is really no other alternative. Hence this
plea for help. Many thanks in advance...

Peace,

--
Leo Breebaart  (leo @ duttnph.tudelft.nl)

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (02/01/91)

In article <leo.665321343@galaxy> leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) writes:

   I have an SE/30 with a 40Mb internal hard disk and a 170 Mb external hard
   disk. Both disks had system 6.0.7 installed, with the external disk as
   my startup disk.

   When I was offered the chance to try out the System 7.0 beta, I jumped
   at it. But I had not enough empty diskettes at the time; and unthinkingly
   I did something incredibly stupid: I copied all the original System 7.0
   diskettes to the external hard disk in order to store them temporarily
   until I got me some new diskettes.
   Forgetting of course the simple fact that the Mac was not going to like
   all those new system files now residing on my startup disk.

While you are correct that this was a 'stupid' thing to do, it should
not have caused your problem.  Just having an 'extra' system file on
your drive SHOULD not cause a problem, unless there is an extra finder
in the same folder.  Is it possible that something else happened at
about the same time?

   If I turn on my Mac, I get the diskette icon with the flashing question
   mark, i.e. it does not even recognize the (unchanged) internal hard disk.
   It does not matter if the external disk is turned on or off.

Well, as far as this goes, the external drive would have to be
disconnected (rather than off) for it to make a difference.

   Floppy (6.0.x) startups are possible, but neither of the two hard disks
   then gets recognized or mounted. Silverlining tells me that SCSI ports
   0 and 6 are 'in use' but it doesn't know with what ('0 Mb Drive').
   If I disconnect the external disk from the SCSI port (and only then) will
   the Mac start up correctly using the internal hard disk. No problem.

   The next thing I tried was installing 7.0 correctly on the internal disk,
   but the Mac still only starts up if the external hard disk is not connected
   to the SCSI port.
   (And yes, system 7.0 looks really great, but all of a sudden I don't care
   so much about that any more :-( )

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "What a drag,
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University |   it is,
(617) 894-6859 or 647-3720  | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |    getting old"

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "What a drag,
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University |   it is,

EHYOUNK@MTUS5.BITNET (02/02/91)

I would have to say that there is a good chance that this is a hardware problem
.  Since the system software doesn't get load untill the computer can access
 the hard drive, I find it unlikely that sys 7 is your problem.  Your external
 HD is problely at fault.

  I resever the right to be complety wrong.

  Ed

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (02/05/91)

In article <91032.134415EHYOUNK@MTUS5.BITNET> EHYOUNK@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>I would have to say that there is a good chance that this is a hardware problem
>.  Since the system software doesn't get load untill the computer can access
> the hard drive, I find it unlikely that sys 7 is your problem.  Your external
> HD is problely at fault.

In order to access the hard drive in any useful way, the mac must read
the driver off the drive itself.  So if the driver is damaged, you
have a problem that could look like a hardware problem.  You should
first try to update the driver itself.  Quoting from page 10 of
Apple's Macintosh Utilities User Guide, "You can also use Apple HD SC
Setup's Update command to replace a damaged driver without erasing
your disk."  If you have a non-Apple external drive, the manufacturer
should have supplied software similar to HD SC Setup for the same
purpose.

John E. Doner	doner@henri.ucsb.edu	(805)893-3941
Dept. Mathematics, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA 93106

cls@crd.ge.com (02/08/91)

Leo,

I had a similar problem when I tried to get my IIsi (System 6.0.7) to read an
Ehman disk that worked fine with my Mac Plus (6.0.3).

I finally used a new disk formatting utility (which I had ordered from UniStor
for A/UX partitioning) and "updated the drivers."  That did the trick -- I
guess the Ehman drivers on the disk don't work with the new system or new
hardware....

This also gave me a spiffier looking hard disk icon, by the way.

I first tried the "Update" command from the Apple HD Setup utility, but of
course it did not recognize my off-brand disk.

Updating the drivers takes about 3 seconds and doesn't require reformatting, so
try that if you can find something compatible with your hardware.

Russ Clark
clarkrs@crd.ge.com

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Arnaud Gourdol) (02/12/91)

DON'T PANIC!

How did you install System 7 on your hard disk? Did you use the installer or
did you just dragged the icons? If the former, your SCSI driver has been
"updated" (or downdated?) to the System 7 which, for some reason, seems not to
work quite well.

The solution is to us HD Install if you have an Apple HD or the formatting
program of your HD to update it's driver. This sould solve the mounting
problem.
Start with your internal hard disk (use the Startup control panel and choose
your internal hard disk). Then, go to your System 7 folder and create a new
folder. Put the System file in this folder. The System file and Finder must be
separated, else you may boot with System 7.
I think that your HD should be saved now.

If you have installed the system just by dragging icons it is possible (altough
not certain) that the Finder DID update the boot block by itself (smart guy :-)
So apply this medicine anyway, it could work.

In any circumstance, don't forget: don't play with fire.
(BTW, as you tried System 7, I assume you are a registered developer, so you
probably carrefully read the slipper that carefully explains all this :-)

Arnaud.