[comp.sys.mac.system] kanji talk

hanc_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Caroline Handel) (02/08/91)

       I don't know where I can get KanjiTalk, a Japanese word processer.
Does anyone know where I can get it?
----------------------------------------------------Caroline

                       hanc_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

thanks in advance for any replies that I get.

dmoon@phoenix.princeton.edu (Doksu Moon) (02/08/91)

In article <12092@ur-cc.UUCP> hanc_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Caroline Handel)
writes:

>       I don't know where I can get KanjiTalk, a Japanese word processer.
>Does anyone know where I can get it?
>----------------------------------------------------Caroline
>
>                       hanc_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
>
>thanks in advance for any replies that I get.

KanjiTalk is NOT a Japanese word processor.  It is the Macintosh Operating
System localized for the Japanese market.  You can order it from MacConnection
for about $80.  I think the current version they carry is KanjiTalk 6.0.5  It
comes with a few DAs but no word processor.  You need to buy a word processing
program in addition to KanjiTalk 6.0.5, but I have heard that Nisus 3.XX is
fully compatible with it.  MS Word and the other programs do not work with
KanjiTalk.
If you have any more questions then e-mail me.

Doksu Moon '91
Princeton University

dmoon@phoenix.princeton.edu

pearl@remus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) (02/12/91)

In article <91041.211254TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) writes:

 > Hello, I think the cheapest way to get Kanji-talk (Japanese vers of Macintosh
 > OS, the latest is v.6.0.5J) is to subscribe to "D e v e l o p" magazine
 > from Apple Programmers and Developers Association (APDA, 20525 Mariani Ave.
 > M/S 33-G, Cupertino, CA 95014. telephone 1-800-282-2732).  The subscription
 > fee is $27/year).  It sends you a quarterly magazine with a CD-ROM which
 > contains the latest all international versions of Macintosh OS, including
 > Japanese. You have to have a CD-ROM drive (or a friend who has one), though,
 > to first download the selected content to floppy disks.
 > The CD-ROM also contains a release note and basic usage docs, and HyperCard
 > v.1.2.5J.      (However, HyperCard v.2.0 is compatible with KanjiTalk
 > already, without any customiations, it looks to me).

Hi!  First, the subscription to Develop is $30, not $27.

Secondly, I have the CD rom but I have no clue as how to get Kanjitalk
installed.  When I run the installer, it assumes that I have the fonts
installed and all the instructions come out like garbage on the
screen.  Tasukette kudasai!!  Help!

Steve
---
Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)    Work: (908)932-3465   Home: (908)878-2755
UUCP:  rutgers!remus.rutgers.edu!pearl   ARPA:  pearl@remus.rutgers.edu
US MAIL:  LPO 12749 CN 5064, New Brunswick, NJ 08903
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
	"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) (02/12/91)

Re: How to install KanjiTalk (pearl@remus.rutgers.edu)

Ehh, sorry for misquoting the subscription fee   for D e v e l o p...
Maybe they raised the price after I subscribed :-) (?)

The KanjiTalk OS files you find in the D e v e l o p CD ROM is saved
there in what _THEY_ call the "DiskCopy" format.  An application
DiskCopy should be somewhere in the same CD ROM. So what you do is
to prepare 5 (I think) blank floppy disks, run DiskCopy, load the
image file in the CD ROM, dump it into a blank floppy one at a time,
and repeat that.  You'll end up with a bunch of "system floppy disks",
like 'KanjiTalk Installer', 'System Tools', 'Utilities 1', 'Utilities 2',
'KanjiFont 1' and so on (the disk names I said may not be exactly right,
but they are something like that).

Then, you reboot the Mac off the KanjiTalk Installer floppy disk, and run
the installer, and the installer will ask you (as usual) as to what
kind of machine you're dealing with etc, and you follow through it.
That part is exactly like installing a new U.S. system.

Quite oftenly people want to maintain the English version and Japanese
version of systems in the same hard drive.  I have _EMPIRICALLY_ found
that creating another system folder (call it like SYS-J, for example),
and that copying simply (almost) everything from those KanjiTalk
system floppies to it will do the installation just fine.

In this case, you need a utility to switch between U.S. and Kanji
systems, declaring the "blessed" system folder.  To do so, you need a small
application, either "Blesser" or "System Switcher".  I think they
are in the D e v e l o p CD ROM or public sites like SUMEX-AIM.

If you use SuiteCase etc, you can cut down the size of Kanji system
folder significantly (that is, to share a bulk part of DA and fonts with
the U.S. system on the same disk).  My SYS-J takes 7 Mb and SYS-E takes
8.3 Mb out of 80 Mb Quantum.  Not so bad.

Hope this helps.
                                                       - Nobu Toge

+++++ My personal opinion only.
+++++ My employer (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center) and its
+++++ funding agency (U.S.Department of Energy) have nothing to do with it.

TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) (02/12/91)

Re: KanjiTalk LaserWriter files (majors@milton.u.washington.edu)

Robert - I don't know if this is exactly the answer you're looking
    for... but I _AM_ using U.S. version of LaserWriter and
    Prep files in my  KanjiTalk system folder and it's working fine
    on Network'ed LaswerWriter IINTX.  By this I mean _NOT_ NTX-J.

    It looks as if that as long as I'm using IINTX, which is NOT
    NTX-J, and hence which doesn't have Kanji-postscripts in it,
    U.S. version of LaserWriter  file works fine, even if it's
    driven by KanjiTalk to print Japanese stuff.  I've noticed
    if I use Kanji version of LaserWriter files (i.e. 6.0.5J etc),
    whenever I print Japanese things, it wants to re-initialize
    the printer, and it's very time consuming.... but apparently
    I don't have to use them.

    I don't know what the story is if you are using LaserWriter
    II NTX-J.  In that case you may have to use J version of
    LaserWriter files in your sys folder and in the print server.
    I hope someone can correct me if I'm mistaken on that.

                                              - Nobu Toge
+++++ My opinion only.  My employer is not related to my
+++++ statement, i.e. Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.

nmm2@quads.uchicago.edu (nathaniel marinus mccully) (02/13/91)

Actually, the LaserWriter and LaserPrep files (both English and Japanese
versions) are the same.  The only difference is that all the dialogs and
names of checkboxes and the like have been localized (i.e. translated) into
Japanese for Japan.  It is true that if your print spooler has been using
the English versions, it will crash when you try tp print a document from
a Mac with the Japanese versions installed on it.  Likewise, if the Laser
Writer has been initialized with either English or Japanese LaserPrep and
LaserWriter drivers, and you try to print using the other one, it will have
to re-initialize the printer before running the job with the new driver.
That is why it is highly recommended to have installed the *same* editions
and versions of LaserPrep etc. on all the Macs that access the printer.

As far as the LaserWriter-J having any connection to the LaserWriter IINTX-J
printer, it doesn't.  The differences exist between the IINTX and IINTX-J
printer themselves.  A IINTX-J upgrade to a standard LaserWriter II printer
engine means they change the logic board, ROM, add a 40 Meg Hard Disk with
the two PostScript Kanji fonts on it, and stuff like that.  You still can
use your English LaserPrep with it, so the options come out in English on
your screen.

--
!!\\   !!       !!\\ //!!			Dept. of EALC
!! \\  !!       !! \ / !!			Univ. of Chicago