[comp.sys.mac.system] interrupt key to finder? bomb shelter?

drew@objy.com (Drew Wade) (01/31/91)

I'm looking for something (INIT?) that will make the interrupt key cause
a jump to the finder, to get out of crashed programs.

I have Bomb Shelter, that makes the bomb dialogue CONTINUE key work, but that's
usu. of little help because continuing a crashing program usually doesn't
work, and some crashes don't show bomb dialog.

I also have RamDisk+ v2.08, which, when it creates the ramdisk, has the
option to do what bomb shelter does and in addition to make the interrupt
key function so that pressing it causes a jump to the finder.  This is
perfect-- can exit cleanly, avoid disk first aid problems, etc.  But
I don't want a ramdisk.  I just want the interrupt key function.

Anybody know how to get this?

-Drew
--
----
Drew Wade

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (02/06/91)

In comp.sys.mac.system, article <1991Feb3.172925.1429@objy.com>,
  drew@objy.com (Drew Wade) writes:
<
< Two kind souls told me: if I pressed the interrupt key it would send me to
< a debugger window with ">" prompt, and I could then type G FINDER or G 0
< to jump to finder.  Well, that worked in my office (running 6.0.7) but not
< at home (running 6.0.4), [...]

Unplug your modem.

NB1: "G 0" only works if you do "sm 0 a9f4" first.
NB2: Type "G" if you want the application to continue.
NB3: After you do any of this, restart your Mac as soon as possible.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

w110b011@castor (Paul Franklin) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Jan30.170706.21273@objy.com> drew@objy.com (Drew Wade) writes:
>I'm looking for something (INIT?) that will make the interrupt key cause
>a jump to the finder, to get out of crashed programs.
>
>I also have RamDisk+ v2.08, which, when it creates the ramdisk, has the
>option to do what bomb shelter does and in addition to make the interrupt
>key function so that pressing it causes a jump to the finder.

An additional note.  I'm using a new IIsi, and I can't get into the debugger
with the recommended key sequence (command-power).  Is there a ROM debugger,
and if there isn't, would someone be willing to write something to cause this
interrupt to do an ExitToShell.  RamDisk+ v2.08's feature outlined above
doesn't even work.

Paul Franklin
pdfranklin@ucdavis.edu
(Mail me & I'll summarize.)

ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) (02/13/91)

w110b011@castor (Paul Franklin) writes:

>In article <1991Jan30.170706.21273@objy.com> drew@objy.com (Drew Wade) writes:
>>I'm looking for something (INIT?) that will make the interrupt key cause
>>a jump to the finder, to get out of crashed programs.
>>
>>I also have RamDisk+ v2.08, which, when it creates the ramdisk, has the
>>option to do what bomb shelter does and in addition to make the interrupt
>>key function so that pressing it causes a jump to the finder.

>An additional note.  I'm using a new IIsi, and I can't get into the debugger
>with the recommended key sequence (command-power).  Is there a ROM debugger,
>and if there isn't, would someone be willing to write something to cause this
>interrupt to do an ExitToShell.  RamDisk+ v2.08's feature outlined above
>doesn't even work.

There is a ROM debugger. If you have PKey INIT installed, Cmd-Power works.
However, I used to use that in conjunction with CrashSaver to quit
applications that hang (typically my own) but CrashSaver doesn't work with
my IIsi, and neither does BombShelter.

Yes, if someone would write a new CrashSaver/BombShelter (possibly as a
minimal debugger doing ExitToShell?) it would be great. The feature will
be built into system 7, though (I hope).

--
Ingemar Ragnemalm
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	     ...!uunet!mcvax!enea!rainier!ingemar