[comp.sys.mac.system] Desktop Manager

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (05/08/90)

In an article of <30 Apr 90 04:28:14 GMT>, rob@zycor.uucp (Rob Koch
ft035@unocss.unomaha.edu) writes:

 RK>Can anyone tell me how to get ahold of the Desktop manager Init?
 RK>My local dealer says that he doesn't have /hasn't heard of it.

It should be in sumex bundled with the OSCAR network software as OSCAR.SIT. If
you can't find it, drop me a note and I'll send it. I have it here under the
above name but you can't FTP it from here.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

gerson@parc.xerox.com (Dan Gerson) (08/27/90)

Any suggestions where I might find the Desktop Manager (I believe it is part of
the AppleShare distribution, but I'm not sure).  I need it since I am using a
600MB disk which finally had so many files that could not even rebuild the
desktop when booting (not because of lack of disk space - I still had 90MB
left).  Whether or not the actual problem I experienced was due to a desktop
bug, I still would like to get the desktop manager to speed up normal desktop
usage given a large file system.

I have access to Internet FTP sites and CompuServe, but still haven't
located it yet.  Any suggestions?

Dan Gerson
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

barrey@ka.excelan.com (Barrey Jewall) (08/28/90)

In article <GERSON.90Aug26231157@dupin.parc.xerox.com> gerson@parc.xerox.com
(Dan Gerson) asks:

>Any suggestions where I might find the Desktop Manager (I believe it is part of
>the AppleShare distribution, but I'm not sure).

>I have access to Internet FTP sites and CompuServe, but still haven't
>located it yet.  Any suggestions?

>Dan Gerson
>Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

It is included in the Oscar package, available by anonymous FTP from the
Apple FTP Site - Apple.com (130.43.2.2)

Path is: /pub/dts/mac/hacks/oscar.hqx

Download as BINARY
Unbinhex (use unstuffit, it has this option)
Unstuff

(you probably know all of this stuff, but I thought It may be of interest to
other folks.)

BTW- Oscar is an Appletalk based file transfer program, rather interesting
in its implemenation.

Barrey

--
+ Barrey Jewall                 ++ "My opinions are my opinions" +
+ barrey@novell.com	        ++ (rather self-evident, eh?)    +

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (10/30/90)

While I was trying to debug another problem the other day, I couldn't
help noticing that, every time I put in a floppy, some piece of code
would look on it for a "Desktop DB" file.

This suggests to me that, while the Desktop Manager will not create
its special database on a floppy disk, it will use one if it's
already there.

Just an idea...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00
Commodore-Amiga offers to license TrueTask(tm) technology
to Apple and Microsoft.

brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) (10/31/90)

Please excuse my ignornace, but I have a few questions.

I have a 140M drive, and when I copy something in the Finder, it takes
forever to update the Desktop file (I guess due to a large Desktop
file).  Will the Desktop Manager fix this problem?

If so, how does it do it (in layman's terms).  It still maintains
compatibility with current setups?  Why would I not want to run it?

Lastly, is addition something that will be in System 7.0?

Thanks in advance.
--
Brian S. Schang   N8FOG          brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us
46131 Academy Drive              schang@caen.engin.umich.edu

proteus@med.Stanford.EDU (Gregg L. Kasten) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.163628.900@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us> brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) writes:
>Please excuse my ignornace, but I have a few questions.
>
>I have a 140M drive, and when I copy something in the Finder, it takes
>forever to update the Desktop file (I guess due to a large Desktop
>file).  Will the Desktop Manager fix this problem?
>
>If so, how does it do it (in layman's terms).  It still maintains
>compatibility with current setups?  Why would I not want to run it?
>
>Lastly, is addition something that will be in System 7.0?

Please excuse my ignorance even more. What does the DM do? I have
absolutely no idea. If it was explained in a previous posting, could
somebody possibly direct me to it? Thank you very much.

|  Gregg L. Kasten  |     Stanford University     | proteus@med.stanford.edu  |
|                   |   (sophomore, undeclared)   |                           |
|___________________|_____________________________|___________________________|
\     The opinions expressed herein are my own; they are not necessarily     /
 \      indicative of the opinions of any affiliates of the University.     /
  \________________________________________________________________________/

ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct30.163628.900@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us>
brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) writes:
> I have a 140M drive, and when I copy something in the Finder, it takes
> forever to update the Desktop file (I guess due to a large Desktop
> file).  Will the Desktop Manager fix this problem?

> If so, how does it do it (in layman's terms).  It still maintains
> compatibility with current setups?  Why would I not want to run it?

Yes, it will fix it. Not only does copying speed up, but launching (more
important) is instantaneous. No searching for the file location... It uses
a flat file database rather than the resource fork, which had to be
accessed through the Resource Manager and was thus slow (in addition to
suffering from RM limitations). It looks the same when running, although
there are now two invisible files instead of one.

One limitation is that you can no longer hack it the way you could the
Desktop file (for example to make it smaller but keep comments). Also it
doesn't work with floppies (someone mentioned that it seemed to check for
the DB file on them, but copying them over doesn't start it up).

> Lastly, is addition something that will be in System 7.0?

Yes.

Mark Lanett, a.k.a. ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu
Wow! A .sig! Only now I have to think of something original...

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (11/01/90)

I'm told, by someone I tend to believe, that if you are using the Desktop
Manager, the Finder cannot find an application if it is on a different
partition (or drive?) from one of its documents.

Is this really true?  How do you all survive?
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

wkchan@athena.mit.edu (William K Chan) (11/01/90)

I know that this has been asked many times and answered many times, but I have
a few more questions about the Desktop Manager.

1.  Can I delete the original invisible "Desktop" file after installing Desktop
    Manager?

2.  How long should it take to create the new invisible files for Desktop
    Manager to use?  I have about 2000 files in about 85 MB of disk space.
    I guess the drive is about 28 ms access time.  I tried it once, but I left
    it overnight and it didn't finish so I rebooted.  Is something seriously
    wrong?  Is it possibly incompatible with one of my INITs?

I would appreciate it if you could mail me the answers, or just post them in
this group.  Thanks.

William Chan
wkchan@athena.mit.edu

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.223953.21937@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>I'm told, by someone I tend to believe, that if you are using the Desktop
>Manager, the Finder cannot find an application if it is on a different
>partition (or drive?) from one of its documents.
>
>Is this really true?  How do you all survive?

  I can't say that this happens 100% of the time.  (When everything works
the way it's supposed to, one tends not to notice how everything is set up.)
But I have noticed this occurance.  However, if you open up the folder
containing the application, then double click the document, it will launch
correctly.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu
Patches 'R' Us                     | Real-mail: Dean Yu
A Division of Cyberite Systems     |            909 Church St Apt C
                                   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
I'm not the voice of Reason, much  | Phone:     313 662-4073
    less the voice of Cyberite.    |            313 662-4163

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.223953.21937@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>I'm told, by someone I tend to believe, that if you are using the Desktop
>Manager, the Finder cannot find an application if it is on a different
>partition (or drive?) from one of its documents.

>Is this really true?  How do you all survive?

I haven't seen that problem.  Maybe it only happens if you attach a drive
that doesn't have the Desktop Manager files on it (say, from another Mac).
In my case, all my partitions use DM, and double-clicking works fine.

It is useful to leave an old-style .Desktop file on the disk (copy one from
a blank floppy) so that a Floppy based system won't feel compelled to build
a complete one from scratch.  In THAT case, you won't be able to find the
application unless DM was on the floppy system.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.223953.21937@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>I'm told, by someone I tend to believe, that if you are using the Desktop
>Manager, the Finder cannot find an application if it is on a different
>partition (or drive?) from one of its documents.
>
>Is this really true?  How do you all survive?

     If this is true, then there's something wrong with my system. :)  My
hard drive is diced up into five partitions; two of them are for applications,
and the other three for data files.  I have no trouble in double-clicking on
a data file and having the appropriate program launched from the Apps
partition.
     This *does*, however, happen if you install Desktop Manager and forget
to rebuild the desktop afterwards.  Basically, you're left with no desktop
info; the icons sometimes stay around for some reason, but the system can't
find the applications they go with.  Rebuilding the desktop usually solves
the problem.  (Even though I use DM now, I still haven't given up my old
habit of rebuilding the desktop twice a month whether it needs it or not. :) )

--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.223953.21937@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>I'm told, by someone I tend to believe, that if you are using the Desktop
>Manager, the Finder cannot find an application if it is on a different
>partition (or drive?) from one of its documents.

Nope, not true; I just tried it by launching a Word 4.0 document
from a different SCSI partition where the application is stored
and everything works as expected.

Ken

tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (11/02/90)

My question: what are all these disk optimisers and defragmenters going
to do when we're running Desktop Manager all the time, with its files
open all the time, under MultiFinder all the time?

pre-Desktop Manager, it's easy: launch some other program, blow away
the Finder with an ExitToShell FKEY, and away you go.

Will I need to keep a System 6.0.x floppy (non-DM) just to defragment
my disks under System 7.0? Or will there be a special close-down-DM
mechanism of some kind? Or what?

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (11/02/90)

In article <1286@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:
>My question: what are all these disk optimisers and defragmenters going
>to do when we're running Desktop Manager all the time, with its files
>open all the time, under MultiFinder all the time?

     All the disk optimizers I've seen don't work with DM running.  The only
way around this I've found is to disable the Desktop Manager INIT, restart,
optimize, and reenable the INIT.  (Hopefully, Apple will provide a more
elegant solution for System 7.)
     This does bring up another question.  Once you've installed Desktop
Manager and rebuilt the desktop so that Desktop DB and DF are created, it's
tempting to just delete Desktop to free up space on the disk.  If you do this,
though, the first time you start up without DM, you'll have to wait ~4.6 years
for the Finder to rebuild the Desktop file for each of your hard disk
partitions.
     Someone once showed me a clever trick to get around this: Instead of
deleting Desktop, initialize a floppy disk, and copy the Desktop file from the
floppy onto each of your hard disk partitions.  This miniature Desktop only
takes about 5K, and if you ever have to work without DM, Finder will only
take the time to rebuild the Desktop information for windows you actually have
open.

--

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/02/90)

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu writes:
>Steve Dorner writes:
>>I'm told, by someone I tend to believe, that if you are using the Desktop
>>Manager, the Finder cannot find an application if it is on a different
>>partition (or drive?) from one of its documents.
>>Is this really true?  How do you all survive?
>  I can't say that this happens 100% of the time.  (When everything works
>the way it's supposed to, one tends not to notice how everything is set up.)
>But I have noticed this occurance.  However, if you open up the folder
>containing the application, then double click the document, it will launch
>correctly.

The first assertion is _definitely_ not correct. I have just as definitely
seen this happen, infrequently, and it can just as easily happen in the
_same_ partition.

For example, on my hard disk with 2 MacOS partitions, I've got Hypercard
buried deep away in the second partition, and my rolodex in the first
partition. I know for a fact that I don't have HyperCard in the first
partition, since if I unmount the second partition I can't use HC. But I have
no trouble running my rolodex with a dbl-click.

In general, I don't see this more than once every few month, on a collection
of over thirty Macs that run DTM.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

neg@NRC.COM (Neal Goldsmith) (11/03/90)

In article <10458@milton.u.washington.edu> phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) writes:
>In article <1286@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:
>>My question: what are all these disk optimisers and defragmenters going
>>to do when we're running Desktop Manager all the time, with its files
>>open all the time, under MultiFinder all the time?
>
>     All the disk optimizers I've seen don't work with DM running.  The only
>way around this I've found is to disable the Desktop Manager INIT, restart,
>optimize, and reenable the INIT.  (Hopefully, Apple will provide a more
>elegant solution for System 7.)

Norton Speed Disk works great! I use it with the DM all the time. Disk Doctor
also works. I checked with PNC before I tried it, they gave me the party line
about Apple not supporting it except with AppleShare, then said it will work.

I guess they're ready for 7.0.

The only problem I have is installing new versions on the system software.
I have to build a normal desktop, then install the system, then put the DM
back.

I can't handle using my machine without the Desktop Manager, I have over 2000
files on my main HD. Updates are just to slow otherwise. After 2500 or so
files you HAVE to use DM, the standard desktop system fails to work.

--
  Neal E. Goldsmith                            Network Research Corp
  Internet: neg@nrc.com                        1620 Federal Ave #2

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (11/03/90)

In article <10458@milton.u.washington.edu> phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>     All the disk optimizers I've seen don't work with DM running.  The only
>way around this I've found is to disable the Desktop Manager INIT, restart,
>optimize, and reenable the INIT.  (Hopefully, Apple will provide a more
>elegant solution for System 7.)
[stuff deleted]

When you optimize a hard drive, it's probably advisable to boot from a floppy
containing your disk optimizer.  In which case it doesn't matter if you
have Desktop Manager on the hard drive.

--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com

nishri@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Alex Nishri) (11/03/90)

Another thing different when you run the DeskTop manager is what happens when
you have multiple versions of the same applications.  Without DeskTop manager,
the last application version you happened to move from folder to folder is the
one you get when you double-click a document; with DeskTop manager I can't
predict ...

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/04/90)

In article <1286@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:
>My question: what are all these disk optimisers and defragmenters going
>to do when we're running Desktop Manager all the time, with its files
>open all the time, under MultiFinder all the time?
>
>pre-Desktop Manager, it's easy: launch some other program, blow away
>the Finder with an ExitToShell FKEY, and away you go.
>
>Will I need to keep a System 6.0.x floppy (non-DM) just to defragment
>my disks under System 7.0? Or will there be a special close-down-DM
>mechanism of some kind? Or what?

Life is no different with DTM, and likewise with 7.0. As you said, just
launch another program (your defragger, maybe), and then use the Fkey. It
works just fine.

---

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (11/06/90)

In article <1286@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:
>My question: what are all these disk optimisers and defragmenters going
>to do when we're running Desktop Manager all the time, with its files
>open all the time, under MultiFinder all the time?

I just boot a floppy with the startup doc set to Norton Speed Disk and no
finder. It doesn't have any problem with the Desktop Manager Files, and
always works just fine.

jim
--
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (02/14/91)

Where may I obtain a copy of the Desktop Manager INIT?

--

Robert S. Unoki
unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu