[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 WDEF

jo1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Oplinger) (02/16/91)

Folks-
    I really like the windows for System 7 (the nice blue highlights,
etc), and wish I could get the WDEF into my system 6.0.x.  I've tried
copying the WDEF out into another file and opening it with ClickChange
(imports WDEFs), but my machine hangs when I try to open it.  Same
happens if I replace the WDEF in NeXT WDEF init.  Anyone have any ideas
on whether this is possible and if it can be done?
    Also, has anyone gotten Suitcase II (1.2.8) and System 7's chooser
to coexist?
    Thanks a lot for your help...

                                        -- jeff

P.S.  Oh, does anyone have the installer disks for 7.0b4 (or newer)?  If
I could mail you some HD floppys and you could send me back a copy, I'd
be eternally thankful...

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (02/18/91)

In article <kbj5s2_00WBNQ3xb0u@andrew.cmu.edu> jo1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Oplinger) writes:
>Folks-
>    I really like the windows for System 7 (the nice blue highlights,
>etc), and wish I could get the WDEF into my system 6.0.x.  I've tried
>copying the WDEF out into another file and opening it with ClickChange
>(imports WDEFs), but my machine hangs when I try to open it.  Same
>happens if I replace the WDEF in NeXT WDEF init.  Anyone have any ideas
>on whether this is possible and if it can be done?

  Glad you like 'em.
  You can't use the colour System 7 WDEF under System 6 because the new WDEF
uses features which are only available in System 7.  The most notable being
that the new WDEF calls _DeviceLoop to do it's drawing so that it "does the
right thing" when a window is spanning monitors of different bit depths.

  -- Dean
     Negative Ethnic Role Model, Blue Meanie, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.