[comp.sys.mac.system] system 7.0b???????

fry@zariski.harvard.edu (David Fry) (02/15/91)

In article <9102150545.aa05600@Bonnie.ics.uci.edu> rhutchin@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
>I wonder why Apple is so naive as to think that "distribution" of all these
>beta versions of system 7.0b????  is totally under control.  Many of my Mac
>acquantances, who are no more developers than Saddam Hussein is a good guy,
>have the latest version, 7.0b4, running on their computers, and have had
>7.0b1 or better since a couple days after its Halloween release date.
>Disclaimer: I personally have not run it on my machine, mainly because I'm
>concerned about VERY important data on my hard drive (not cuz I'd feel bad
>about it).
>
>Anyway, I guess my point is...  What is Apple's point in not allowing
>distribution?  You simply say it
>is a real unstable beta that is "for fun" and warn people to use at their
>own risk.  Could it be that Apple doesn't want to reveal system 7.0,
>that it's some big trade secret?  Come on, I can assure you that it is no
>secret!!!

Clearly Apple is not very concerned about copies of the System
betas falling into the "wrong" hands; otherwise they wouldn't
have mailed out 9000 copies to developers.  There is no shame
or secret being hidden.

The real reason Apple isn't distributing it is: it's not done.  A
large company like Apple can't afford to release broken
products, even with the understanding that it's not stable,
may be dangerous, or whatever.  People would get the wrong
idea about broken or undocumented features, you'd see endless
complaints that it's too slow because people don't understand
about debugging code, and others would be angered about losing
data because of a crash (even if they knew perfectly well they
shouldn't be using it).  In the end, everyone would just
remember all the bad things about System 7.

This ignores the fact that they're not going to go to the
expense/effort to send out/upload all the disks and
documentation for a toy that's not done.  And to really use
the betas safely and effectively, you need to carefully look at
the stuff on that CD-ROM.

Small companies can prerelease products, give out early
samples, and discuss future plans because they desperately
need publicity and attention.  Large companies (Apple, IBM,
Ford, etc.) can't risk having their reputation soiled
unnecessarily, or being held to an early, imprecise
announcement.

David Fry                               fry@math.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics               fry@huma1.bitnet
Harvard University                      ...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

fry@zariski.harvard.edu (David Fry) (02/15/91)

In article <5733@husc6.harvard.edu> I write:

>The real reason Apple isn't distributing it is: it's not done.  A
>large company like Apple can't afford to release broken
>products, even with the understanding that it's not stable,
>may be dangerous, or whatever.  People would get the wrong
>idea about broken or undocumented features, you'd see endless
>complaints that it's too slow because people don't understand
>about debugging code, and others would be angered about losing
>data because of a crash (even if they knew perfectly well they
>shouldn't be using it).  In the end, everyone would just
>remember all the bad things about System 7.

If I may expand on this:

Imagine if Sears announced that they had a really great new
blender in the works, but that it's not yet finished.
However, if you wished, you could send them $7 to cover
shipping and parts, and they would send you a prototype.  The
understanding is that it works pretty well, but
Sears is not responsible for what might happen.  Well, it
turns out these blenders are pretty good, but the prototypes
are rather noisy, they leak sometimes, and a few people have
had fingers lopped off by broken blades.  What do you think
would happen to Sears' reputation and business?

Imagine, however, that Lotus had a similar deal involving
prototype high-performance racing engines that could be had at
cost.  A handful of racing teams around the world would buy
them, and maybe some drivers would be killed due to defects in
the products.  Nothing would happen to Lotus in this case
because such a small and specialized market is involved.  The
people that got the engines would be technically capable
enough to understand what they were getting involved in.

I give these examples in response to the people who expect
Apple and IBM to have the same business policies as Sun,
Silicon Graphics, and other smaller computer companies that
deal with a specialized market.  The risk is too great for
them.  While Cray may be able to release a beta release of its
operating system, you can't expect Apple to do so.

rhutchin@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU (02/15/91)

[...]

Well, the way 7.0b4 looks on my buddy's Mac II, I can't wait for the
real release!!!!

Even though Apple has its head up its collective butt about who gets
these things, they sure put together one awesome piece of software!!!

Richard B. Hutchings
Department of Information and Computer Science
UC Irvine

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (02/16/91)

From article <9102150545.aa05600@Bonnie.ics.uci.edu>, by rhutchin@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU:
> Anyway, I guess my point is...  What is Apple's point in not allowing
> distribution?  You simply say it
> is a real unstable beta that is "for fun" and warn people to use at their
> own risk.  Could it be that Apple doesn't want to reveal system 7.0,
> that it's some big trade secret?  Come on, I can assure you that it is no
> secret!!!

One reason is that the people that get the software on this understanding
may well give it to people without telling them about the unstable
nature of it.  People who get it that way may not realize its beta nature,
think it's a mature product, then blame/flame Apple for releasing garbage
software.

This will still happen anyway, of course, but at least Apple has protected
itself via disclaimer and restriction on distribution.

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (02/16/91)

In article <3930@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:

   From article <9102150545.aa05600@Bonnie.ics.uci.edu>, by rhutchin@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU:
   > Anyway, I guess my point is...  What is Apple's point in not allowing
   > distribution?  You simply say it
   [...]

   One reason is that the people that get the software on this understanding
   may well give it to people without telling them about the unstable
   nature of it.  People who get it that way may not realize its beta nature,
   think it's a mature product, then blame/flame Apple for releasing garbage
   software.

   This will still happen anyway, of course, but at least Apple has protected
   itself via disclaimer and restriction on distribution.

I guess this is probably why they put INIT 12 in there--so anybody
that does get it can't say they weren't warned.

--
/=============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

KJSTEELE@MTUS5.BITNET (02/16/91)

All this talk about system 7 on the net makes me want a copy of it so I can

check it out.  Is there anyway or anywhere I can get a copy?  I would like

to experiment a little bit.  :)

Thanks,

Kevin J. Steele

KJSTEELE@MTUS5.bitnet

wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (02/19/91)

David Fry says about why Apple won't release a 7.0 beta for general use:
>Small companies can prerelease products, give out early
>samples, and discuss future plans because they desperately
>need publicity and attention.	Large companies (Apple, IBM,
Ford, etc.) can't risk having their reputation soiled
>unnecessarily, or being held to an early, imprecise
>announcement.

He's right. Apple won't release a bug-ridden beta version. They'll wait
until the final version to release a bug-ridden product (shades of 6.0) :-)
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

"To me, happiness is being famous in your financial ability to indulge in
every kind of excess." -- Calvin

fnordfordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnord