[comp.sys.mac.system] Best System for a Mac Plus

dbert@geech.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (02/20/91)

This is my first real (non-test) posting, so if I commit any faux pas, please
bear with me! :)

A few weeks ago I bought myself a used Mac Plus with 800K drive and 2.5 megs of
RAM.  I didn't get a complete set of system disks with it however, only a
general mish-mash of system software from various incarnations of System 6.0.x
When FTPing to apple.com I saw the System 6.0.7 available there and downloaded
it and began using it.  I've since heard from several sources that 6.0.7 is
really meant for the newer machines (LC, si, ci, and portable) and tends to be
buggy on older machines.  I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny this
to me.  The only problem I have observed is that when I close an application,
there is a small "click" from the speaker, but this has no observable ill
effects.  Other than that everything *seems* fine, but now I'm rather paranoid.
I would gladly use an earlier version of the system such as 6.0.5, but I don't
have any source from which to obtain a complete 6.0.5 (perhaps this is available
somewhere on the internet or someone could make it available to me?)

I currently use RamDisk+ 2.08, Disinfectant 2.4 INIT, Flex 3.0 INIT, and
SuperClock! 3.9 INIT.  Using MacEnvy I checked my ROMs and discovered them to
be version 117, rev 2, with the "Lonely Heifer" type checksum.

Please send all replies, suggestions, comments to me via e-mail.  If enough
others request it, I'll post a follow up to this query.  Thank you for any help
you can provide a new Mac owner.
--
Douglas Siebert                                         dbert@albert.ai.mit.edu
University of Iowa

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb20.114408.20867@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dbert@geech.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) writes:

> A few weeks ago I bought myself a used Mac Plus with 800K drive and 2.5 megs
> of RAM.  I didn't get a complete set of system disks with it however, only a
> general mish-mash of system software from various incarnations of System 6.0.x

Good choice!  You should visit you local Apple dealer.  Most dealers will
allow you to copy the current Mac system onto disks that you provide.  Please
format the disks in advance to save time.  If you need a Mac manual, you
can purchase a system update kit from your Apple dealer for $49.  The Mac+
runs just dandy with 6.0.3.  From what I have read in MacWeek, do not use
6.0.0, .1, .2, or .6 because of bugs.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john