[comp.sys.mac.system] Dayna DOS Mounter or AccessPC

dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu (02/19/91)

I would like to buy a DOS disk mounter.  I can see two choices:
DOS mounter ($55) or AccessPC ($65) (price @ MACwarehouse).
Which should I buy?

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
UW-Madison, Dept. of Family Medicine and Practice
dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
608-262-6368

norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) (02/19/91)

dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:

>I would like to buy a DOS disk mounter.  I can see two choices:
>DOS mounter ($55) or AccessPC ($65) (price @ MACwarehouse).
>Which should I buy?

>Dirk Herr-Hoyman
>UW-Madison, Dept. of Family Medicine and Practice
>dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
>608-262-6368

At the moment, AccessPC's real advantage over DOS Mounter is its ability to
"mount" DOS Hard disks created with SoftPC in the Finder. Also, I remember
someone mention before that AccessPC does not need to create a Desktop file
on the MS-DOS disks like DOS Mounter, although I'm not sure if this applies
to the latest version (2.0?).

Norton

--
****  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :^( ****
Norton Chia	||  My address is norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (02/19/91)

>I would like to buy a DOS disk mounter.  I can see two choices:
>DOS mounter ($55) or AccessPC ($65) (price @ MACwarehouse).
>Which should I buy?

I use Dos Mounter on a Mac Classic with 6.0.7. It seems to work fine with
the following exceptions:

1. SAM does not scan DOS disks.  I'm not sure this is really a problem,
   but it worries me.

2. My UNIX system running ESIX 5.3.2d, which uses the Xenix "mcopy" command
   now part of all 386 UNIXs, has trouble reading the FAT after Dos Mounter
   writes a disk.

   This is an intermitent problem.

   I have never had problems with disks written by the Apple File Exchange.
|  Geoffrey S. Mendelson  |  Computer Software Consulting    |    Dr.      |
|  (215) 242-8712         |  IBM Mainframes, Unix, PCs, Macs |    Who      |
|  uunet!gsm001!gsm       |                                  |    Fan  too!|
|          WANTED:  PAL VIDEO TAPES (VHS or BETA) inquire within.          |
|                  Especialy "missing" Dr Who Episodes.                    |

norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) (02/19/91)

In comp.sys.mac.system you write:

>2. My UNIX system running ESIX 5.3.2d, which uses the Xenix "mcopy" command
>   now part of all 386 UNIXs, has trouble reading the FAT after Dos Mounter
>   writes a disk.

I thought AccessPC does *NOT* write a desktop file to disk. Do you think this
is true, and if so cure your problem?

PS Of course I have nothing to do with the company!!
(I tried mailing but our news server couldn't find your address, sorry)
--

quark@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Hull) (02/20/91)

norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) writes:
>I thought AccessPC does *NOT* write a desktop file to disk. Do you think this
>is true, and if so cure your problem?

True, AccessPC doesn't write Mac information to DOS disks unless you want it
to do so...

>PS Of course I have nothing to do with the company!!

I do,  I'm tech support for Insignia.
>****  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :^( ****
>Norton Chia	||  My address is norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
>Micro Support	||	"When are they going to put in built-in spell-chequers"
|  And by now you can tell that     |                              |
|  I prefer talking about the fear  |     Do my opinions really    |
|  of living, as opposed to the     |     matter to my employers?  |
|  fear of dying.                   |                              |
|       --Karen Finley              |                              |
               Dave Hull is:   quark@asylum.sf.ca.us

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (02/20/91)

norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) repsonded to my posting:

Me:
>>2. My UNIX system running ESIX 5.3.2d, which uses the Xenix "mcopy" command
>>   now part of all 386 UNIXs, has trouble reading the FAT after Dos Mounter
>>   writes a disk.

Him:
>I thought AccessPC does *NOT* write a desktop file to disk. Do you think this
>is true, and if so cure your problem?
>
>PS Of course I have nothing to do with the company!!
>(I tried mailing but our news server couldn't find your address, sorry)

I haven't tried AccessPc, but in my case the point is moot.  I have
the file (MacWrite) on the Mac, and I want to move it to the UNIX system.

I save it "as text only" with MacWrite directly on the DosMounted P.C. disk.
This is when I get the problem reading on the unix system.

If I move the file with Apple file transfer instead, it works fine.

suarez@astro.as.arizona.edu (Jose Suarez) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb20.024025.23869@gsm001.uucp> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

>If I move the file with Apple file transfer instead, it works fine.

I think the problem may be in the famous CR+LF vs just CR.  Macs use carriage
returns and the end of a line, but Unix and MS-DOS use carriage return plus
line feed.  Apple File Exchange knows that and probably translates accordingly.
When you're saving as plain text, no such translation occures.  So, use AFE or
a text utility (like Add/Strip or DeskZap -- there are millions of them) to makethose changes.

This is what I've noticed.  Netters:  If I'm wrong about any of this, please
			    ^^^^^^^   post (but please don't flame.)

  -- Jose

--
=========  Jose Suarez               Internet:  suarez@as.arizona.edu  =========
=========  Steward Observatory           SPAN:  IUE::SUAREZ            =========

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (02/23/91)

suarez@astro.as.arizona.edu (Jose Suarez) comments on my posting....

>In article <1991Feb20.024025.23869@gsm001.uucp> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>>
>>If I move the file with Apple file transfer instead, it works fine.
>>

>I think the problem may be in the famous CR+LF vs just CR.  Macs use carriage
>returns and the end of a line, but Unix and MS-DOS use carriage return plus
>line feed.  Apple File Exchange knows that and probably translates accordingly.
>When you're saving as plain text, no such translation occures.  So, use AFE or
>a text utility (like Add/Strip or DeskZap -- there are millions of them) to makethose changes.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  The unix system refuses to read the disk. If I
do a MDIR I get some of the directory then "unable to read fat......"

Geoff.