[comp.sys.mac.system] Changing the hard disk icon -- how?

bskendig@dae.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/25/91)

I'd like to have my hard drive have a different icon on the desktop
than the generic SCSI-diamond it has now.  I've been doing it with the
Facade INIT, but I'd like to use fewer INITS (to free up more memory
for System 7's use), and I'd also like to have my hard drive show the
new icon when I mount it on another machine via Personal FileShare.

Is there any way to do this?  I know it's possible to have a different
icon than what I've got now for the desktop and as a mounted volume;
how do I change it?  Is there some resource that I just paste a new
icon into, or so I have to tinker with drivers, or what?

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (02/26/91)

In article <6609@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@dae.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

> I'd like to have my hard drive have a different icon on the desktop
> than the generic SCSI-diamond it has now.  I've been doing it with the
> Facade INIT, but I'd like to use fewer INITS (to free up more memory
> for System 7's use), and I'd also like to have my hard drive show the
> new icon when I mount it on another machine via Personal FileShare.
>
> Is there any way to do this?  I know it's possible to have a different
> icon than what I've got now for the desktop and as a mounted volume;
> how do I change it?  Is there some resource that I just paste a new
> icon into, or so I have to tinker with drivers, or what?

Gee, I'm kind of torn over the answer to this question...  As the author
of Facade, part of me wants you to keep using it. :)

On the other hand, as a System 7 engineer I feel compelled to give you
the answer you want to hear... :(

Open the Get Info window for the hard disk and click on the icon (in the upper
left corner).  Paste a picture (or ICON, or whatever).  Close the window.
All done.  Users who mount your disk (when you share it) will see the new
icon.

This can't be done while File Sharing is turned on, though.  It won't let
you change stuff like that while it's running.

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.