[comp.sys.mac.system] Unusually large System file

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (01/24/91)

A co-worker has a strange problem with her Mac IIcx; her System file has
expanded to over 2 megs, making it difficult to do any work on her 4 meg
total memory system.  This problem persisted even after we took off
every init and unnecessary cdev we could, and even after we trashed the
System file and installed a new one (6.0.7).

The problem became even more mysterious when we made a copy of the 6.0.7
System disk and booted off that;  the System file was still a
whopping 1746k.  When we booted off the same disk on my IIcx, the System
file was a much more modest 448k.  Both machines have an Ethernet card
and a video board, and internal 40 meg hard drives.

Any ideas would be most helpful.

francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (01/24/91)

In article <1035@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) writes:
   A co-worker has a strange problem with her Mac IIcx; her System file has
   expanded to over 2 megs, making it difficult to do any work on her 4 meg
   total memory system.  This problem persisted even after we took off
   every init and unnecessary cdev we could, and even after we trashed the
   System file and installed a new one (6.0.7).

   The problem became even more mysterious when we made a copy of the 6.0.7
   System disk and booted off that;  the System file was still a
   whopping 1746k.  When we booted off the same disk on my IIcx, the System
   file was a much more modest 448k.  Both machines have an Ethernet card
   and a video board, and internal 40 meg hard drives.
From the sound of things, when you say the System file increased to 2
Meg, you mean that the System is taking up 2Meg, according to the
meter brought up by About Finder under the Apple menu.  My
recommendation; check to make sure that the RAM cache is off; it's
memory may get reported as being part of the memory reserved for the
system file.
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

bmh@demon.siemens.com (Beatrice M Hwong) (01/25/91)

In article <1035@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) writes:
>A co-worker has a strange problem with her Mac IIcx; her System file has
>expanded to over 2 megs, making it difficult to do any work on her 4 meg
>total memory system.  This problem persisted even after we took off
>every init and unnecessary cdev we could, and even after we trashed the
>System file and installed a new one (6.0.7).
>
>Any ideas would be most helpful.

Use the font/da mover and see how many fonts or da's are embedded in that
system file.  Fonts are notorious for eating up space.

Rick.Fallstrom@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Fallstrom) (02/26/91)

It could be a Finder problem or virus infestation. Make a boot disk with
disinfectant 2.4 on it (you may have to use system 6.0.3 to do this) then
run disinfectant to check it out.  You may also have to zap the PRAM.

     Rick Fallstrom

--
Rick Fallstrom - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet, reed}!glacier!busker!343!31!Rick.Fallstrom