[comp.sys.mac.system] HyperCard 2.0, sound, and < 6.0.7

mikef@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Michael Freedburg) (02/27/91)

I was a littled puzzled to read the note about HyperCard 2.0 and
crashes when playing sounds with any system lower than 6.0.7.
I have been running HyperCard 2.0 and 6.0.5
for quite some time and have had no problems; I have even
made use of the built-in sounds as well as heard other sounds
being played, such as the little two-tone when the Palette Maker
successfully installs a new palette.
What gives? Do you mean to say that I have been missing out on
all sorts of video memory going haywire and cool crashes, or is
this (as I suspect) a slight error or misrepresentation of the
facts??
send flames and accusations of stupidity to:
gates@microsoft.com or sculley@apple.com
but NOT to mikef@samba.acs.unc.edu
Love and Peace

bskendig@spot.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/27/91)

In article <2738@beguine.UUCP> mikef@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Michael Freedburg) writes:
>I have been running HyperCard 2.0 and 6.0.5
>for quite some time and have had no problems ...

Okay, looks like I was wrong in an earlier posting (as dozens of
people kindly pointed out to me).  Apparently HyperCard 1.2.5 will
work with any version of the Macintosh System Software up to and
including 6.0.5, and HyperCard 2.0 will work with 6.0.5 or later.

It's still a bit strange, though, because even on a vanilla System
6.0.5 and a HyperCard 2.0v2 straight off the distribution disks, my
machine still crashes rather spectacularly when I solve the Puzzle
stack and it goes to play the cute little victory melody...

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

cfj@iSC.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) (03/02/91)

So precisely what version of the system is required to run HyperCard 2.0 ??

--
Charles Johnson
Intel Corporation, Supercomputer Systems Division