[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys7 rumor: Is it true?

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (02/28/91)

I heard a rumor recently, and wondered if anyone on the net could
confirm or deny it:

The rumor is that once System 7 is released, there will be provisions
made to outfit older Macs with 32-bit clean ROMs.

If this IS the case,

 1 - Will it go all the way back to MacPlusses,
 2 - Will owners of accelerators, etc. on Plusses be affected,
 3 - Will this remove the MacOS 4Meg maximum memory limitation?

Thanks for whatever information any of you can provide...

Jeff

--
"Swing is a feeling... Everything else is just style."
				--Capt. Swing

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

udrubini@mcs.drexel.edu (David F. Rubinic) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb28.064524.19071@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) writes:
>I heard a rumor recently, and wondered if anyone on the net could
>confirm or deny it:
>
>The rumor is that once System 7 is released, there will be provisions
^^^>made to outfit older Macs with 32-bit clean ROMs.

>If this IS the case,
>
> 1 - Will it go all the way back to MacPlusses,

> 2 - Will owners of accelerators, etc. on Plusses be affected,
> 3 - Will this remove the MacOS 4Meg maximum memory limitation?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have have 8 megs in my system now, and can use all of it.A

>Thanks for whatever information any of you can provide...
>
>Jeff
>
>--
>"Swing is a feeling... Everything else is just style."
>				--Capt. Swing
>
>jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
udrubini@mcs.drexel.edu           "But ours goes to eleven..."
                                       - Spinal Tap

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (03/01/91)

udrubini@mcs.drexel.edu (David F. Rubinic) writes:

>I have have 8 megs in my system now, and can use all of it.A

I meant on a macPlus, which I guess is limited to 4 megs.  I thought
it was something in the ROMs, but I guess is limited by the hardware
(I have an '020 accelerator, but it doesn't have its own SIMM slots).

Jeff

--
"Swing is a feeling... Everything else is just style."
				--Capt. Swing

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (03/02/91)

Wouldn't putting 32-Bit "clean" ROMs in a machine that cannot do
32-Bit Addressing (a 68000 or 68020 w/o the PMMU) be futile?

Steve