[comp.sys.mac.system] Text Spacing problems with sys. >= 6.0.5

rbars@hila.hut.fi (Rainer B{rs) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.124228.3525@ulrik.uio.no> espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) writes:
>In article <6602@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@dry.Princeton.EDU (Brian
>Kendig) writes:
>
>This reminds me of:  Some weeks ago I upgraded my Mac IIX from 6.0.3 to
>6.0.5 to be able to run the mail program Eudora.
>
>Then I tried to print out a Word document which someone had included
>Cricket Graph (1.2?) graphics in.  The graphics, which looked beautiful
>with the old system, suddenly came out with totally wrong spacing (too
>much space) with the new system.  The text was in 9 pt. Helvetica Narrow,
>and both the system it was generated on (an SE with 6.0.2) and the system
>it was printed on lacked the 9 pt screen version of the font.  I tried it
>on a Plus with sys. 6.0.7, and reproduced the error.  I started the IIX
>from diskette with 6.0.3 and got the right spacing again.
>
>In short: Cricket Graph graphics included in Word, which print right on
>6.0.2 and 6.0.3 systems, come out wrong on 6.0.5 and 6.0.7 systems.
>
>Does anybody know what the cause of this is?

You probably have an error in the Helvetica font in your system. I have the
same problem in my system (=6.0.5, Finnish).

You can test this by writing two identical lines of Helvetica text under
each other and then make the other bold. If the normal and the bold
line still are of identical lengths (the one in bold SHOULD be longer),
your font is bad.

Hey, rest of the world! Do You have this problem, too? Is it shipped with all
systems >= 6.0.5?

Rainer B{rs,       rainer_bars@hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology
Laboratory of Engineering Geology and Geophysics

***   Money, what money? You mean they will PAY me for THIS?  ***