[comp.sys.mac.system] How many MIPS is a Mac?

dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu (02/18/91)

An earlier posting asked for the MIPS rating of a Mac and later postings
have discussed the appropriateness of MIPS and FLOPS (unfortunately I have
lost those, so I cannot post a followup).

While I would agree that one cannot compare MIPS directly, the Dhystone
benchmark is often used as a measure of MIPS with the conversion factor
of 1750 Dhrystone/s = 1 MIPS.  However, Dhrystone is actually measuring
the number of passes thru a loop, not actual MIPS.  Thus, one can compare
Dhrystones/s on different machines.  This is in a sense a measure of raw
horsepower, integer performance.  Along with integer performance, Dhrystone
is also compiler and OS dependant, although it was constructed so as to
minimize this variability.  For a complete discussion of the Dhrystone see
The Communications of the ACM	Vol 27, No 10, 10/84 pg. 1013.

With this in mind, allow me to post some Dhyrstone timings I have obtained
on various machines.  I used the Dhystone 1.1 written in C.  On the Mac I
built a single version with Think C.  On Dos I used Turbo C.  On the Unix/Vms
systems I used the vendor's C.

Computer	O/S	Dhrystones/sec

Cray Y-MP	UNICOS	16000
Zentith 386 33Mz	MS-DOS	8333
Gateway 386 33Mz	MS-DOS	8333
VAX 6420	VMS	7149
Mac IIci	Macintosh	7145
Sequent	Unix	3699
Mac IIcx	Macintosh	3500
VAX 3200	VMS	2941
Mac II	Macintosh	2777
AT&T 6386	MS-DOS	2631
AT&T 3B2 600	Unix System V	1785
MicroVAX II	Ultrix	1077
Mac SE	Macintosh	877
VAXstation II	VMS	862
Mac Plus	Macintosh	735
Zenith 8086 10Mz	MS-DOS	476

Sorry for the poor formatting, I had this on an Excel spreadsheet.  I have
run this on a Sun SparcStation, but I think the number is way too low.  I
would also draw your attention to the Cray number.  Remember that this is
for INTEGER performance.  If we would run the Whetstone or some other
floating point benchmark, the Cray would show a BIG advantage.

Actually, I only take this with a grain of salt.  The only comparisons
that I really believe are application oriented.  See MacWorld March 1991 for
a good comparison of Macs and PC's application speed.

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
UW-Madison, Dept. of Family Medicine and Practice
dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
608-262-6368

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (02/19/91)

dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:

>An earlier posting asked for the MIPS rating of a Mac and later postings
>have discussed the appropriateness of MIPS and FLOPS (unfortunately I have
>lost those, so I cannot post a followup).

>While I would agree that one cannot compare MIPS directly, the Dhystone
>benchmark is often used as a measure of MIPS with the conversion factor
>of 1750 Dhrystone/s = 1 MIPS.  However, Dhrystone is actually measuring
>the number of passes thru a loop, not actual MIPS.  Thus, one can compare
>Dhrystones/s on different machines.  This is in a sense a measure of raw
>horsepower, integer performance.  Along with integer performance, Dhrystone
>is also compiler and OS dependant, although it was constructed so as to
>minimize this variability.  For a complete discussion of the Dhrystone see
>The Communications of the ACM	Vol 27, No 10, 10/84 pg. 1013.

>With this in mind, allow me to post some Dhyrstone timings I have obtained
>on various machines.  I used the Dhystone 1.1 written in C.  On the Mac I
>built a single version with Think C.  On Dos I used Turbo C.  On the Unix/Vms
>systems I used the vendor's C.

>Computer	O/S	Dhrystones/sec
>

>Cray Y-MP	UNICOS	16000
>Zentith 386 33Mz	MS-DOS	8333
>Gateway 386 33Mz	MS-DOS	8333
>VAX 6420	VMS	7149
>Mac IIci	Macintosh	7145
>Sequent	Unix	3699
>Mac IIcx	Macintosh	3500
>VAX 3200	VMS	2941
>Mac II	Macintosh	2777
>AT&T 6386	MS-DOS	2631
>AT&T 3B2 600	Unix System V	1785
>MicroVAX II	Ultrix	1077
>Mac SE	Macintosh	877
>VAXstation II	VMS	862
>Mac Plus	Macintosh	735
>Zenith 8086 10Mz	MS-DOS	476

>Sorry for the poor formatting, I had this on an Excel spreadsheet.  I have
>run this on a Sun SparcStation, but I think the number is way too low.  I
>would also draw your attention to the Cray number.  Remember that this is
>for INTEGER performance.  If we would run the Whetstone or some other
>floating point benchmark, the Cray would show a BIG advantage.

>Actually, I only take this with a grain of salt.  The only comparisons
>that I really believe are application oriented.  See MacWorld March 1991 for
>a good comparison of Macs and PC's application speed.

>Dirk Herr-Hoyman
>UW-Madison, Dept. of Family Medicine and Practice
>dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
>608-262-6368

While these numbers are fun, they unfortunately are not any more informative
than MIPS or MFLOPS.  Toy programs, and 'benchmarks' like whetstone and
drhystone, are really a test of the compiler-writers ingenuity.  In fact
since the code that whetstone and drhystone execute is so simple and
publicly available (it is a simple loop)  there have been cases of compilers
written to detect whetstone and drhystone loops and perform special
optimizations.
Again, the only true measure of preformance is execution time of real pro
grams.

Note that the Cray number above is rather silly, and that the numbers would
lead you to believe that the 386's substantially outperfom the IIci, despite
studies showing quite the opposite.  (using mac vs windows apps performance)
I would also be interested in the Sparc number, as the sparc2 here in the lab
vastly outperforms any macs and pcs we have.

The bottom line is that you cannot possibly compare machines by using only
one number, no matter what that number is.

Dan Walkowski
University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu

krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.160733.20724@macc.wisc.edu> dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:
   While I would agree that one cannot compare MIPS directly, the Dhystone
   benchmark is often used as a measure of MIPS with the conversion factor
   of 1750 Dhrystone/s = 1 MIPS.

One thing no one has mentioned when comparing MIPs is that not all MIP
measurements are the same.  Some vendors use ``true'' MIPs which is
very misleading, especially for RISC architectures.  Others use Vax
MIPs where they run a piece of benchmark code on a machine and compare
it to the speed of a Vax 11/780.  If it runs the code 15 times faster
than the Vax, then the machine is declared to be 15 Vax MIPs.

But MIPs are pretty irrelevant.  Bus speed, memory speed, disk speed,
etc. all go into deciding how fast a machine is.

--
Kevin Kuehl
krk@cs.purdue.edu

emg@Metaphor.COM (Mike Greenawalt) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb18.160733.20724@macc.wisc.edu>, dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:

... some material deleted ...

|> With this in mind, allow me to post some Dhyrstone timings I have obtained
|> on various machines.  I used the Dhystone 1.1 written in C.  On the Mac I
|> built a single version with Think C.  On Dos I used Turbo C.  On the Unix/Vms
|> systems I used the vendor's C.
|>
|> Computer	O/S	Dhrystones/sec
|>

|> Cray Y-MP	UNICOS	16000
|> Zentith 386 33Mz	MS-DOS	8333
|> Gateway 386 33Mz	MS-DOS	8333
|> VAX 6420	VMS	7149
|> Mac IIci	Macintosh	7145
|> Sequent	Unix	3699
|> Mac IIcx	Macintosh	3500
|> VAX 3200	VMS	2941
|> Mac II	Macintosh	2777
|> AT&T 6386	MS-DOS	2631
|> AT&T 3B2 600	Unix System V	1785
|> MicroVAX II	Ultrix	1077
|> Mac SE	Macintosh	877
|> VAXstation II	VMS	862
|> Mac Plus	Macintosh	735
|> Zenith 8086 10Mz	MS-DOS	476

... some material deleted ...

|> Dirk Herr-Hoyman
|> UW-Madison, Dept. of Family Medicine and Practice
|> dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
|> 608-262-6368

There is something wrong with these numbers.  Recent experience with some
RISC processors give Dhrystone numbers in the 30000+ range.  These seem too
small to me.

But, I don't want to fuel a long controversy over Dhrystone numbers.  A few
years ago I was involved in a project to get the best Dhrystone numbers out
of a newly-designed architecture.  Deep study of the Dhrystone code and the
factors which influence its performance revealed that nothing counted more
than the performance of the strcpy routine in the C library (unless the
compiler could recognize and in-line the string moves).  Dhrystone really
measures moving characters around.  Maybe that is why the Cray number seems
relatively low.

--
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Mike Greenawalt           | emg@metaphor.com                           |

In article <1182@exua.exeter.ac.uk> kt@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Keith Tizzard) writes:
>In article <13486@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) writes:
>>
>>One thing no one has mentioned when comparing MIPs is that not all MIP
>>measurements are the same.  Some vendors use ``true'' MIPs which is
>

>What is a MIP?

It's as valid an indicator of speed as a MIPS.
(well, actually, vax MIPS have meaning on the Vax 11/780.... says a vax runs
as fast as it runs :-) )
I mine 600 wells, and whaddo I get?  Another day older and deeper in debt!
	--- Saddam Hussein.