[comp.sys.mac.system] Need uudecode for Mac

abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) (01/23/91)

Is there uuencode/decode available for the Mac?

If so, I could sure use a copy.

Thanks in advance,

-Drew

--
Andrew Bennett          abennett@mit.edu
MIT Room 11-124H        abennett%athena@mitvma.bitnet

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/28/91)

>BinHex and uuencode formats are (I think) the same.

Not true.  Not only are they are different encodings, but BinHex handles
resource forks and finder info, whereas uuencode (per se) does not.

No mac application I know of (not that I know of them all, mind) does
uudecode, though I know of a module for StuffIt that is in the works.
Expect to see some in the future though, since some broken mac mail
systems think uuencode is the cat's meow, probably because they had
UNIX code lying around to do it.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (01/29/91)

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

>No mac application I know of (not that I know of them all, mind) does
>uudecode

I use UUTool 1.2 by Bernie Wieser (downloaded from SUMEX) and it works
quite well.  There's also another program I've used - I think it was
simply called 'uudecode' or 'MacUUdecode' (can't remember) which did
the job but was pretty clunky (had to have the application in the same
folder as the file you wanted to translate).

A StuffIt tool would be great, though.

Jeff
--
"I have a perfect cure for a sore throat. Cut it."
    -- Alfred Hitchcock

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan25.115338.7553@vax1.tcd.ie> dagraham@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>In article <1991Jan22.224834.23835@athena.mit.edu>, abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) writes:
>>
>> Is there uuencode/decode available for the Mac?
>
>uudecode="BinHex 4.0"
>
>BinHex and uuencode formats are (I think) the same; You can uudecode a file
>using BinHex. All the StuffIts do BinHexing and deBinHexing too, so it
>shouldn't be a problem.

BinHex and uuencode are definitely not the same... BinHex is a Mac-type program
so it preserves the creator and filetypes (and icon info too?). uuencode is a
Unix-type program and it preserves the file access flags. The actual encoding
methods are also very different. BTW, I said "Mac-type" and "Unix-type" since
there are programs to decode BinHex on many different computers, and there
are programs to uudecode on the Mac.

Anyways, there is a uuencode/decode available for the Mac. I'm not sure where
though.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in

kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) (01/30/91)

   > No mac application I know of (not that I know of them all, mind)
   > does uudecode, though I know of a module for StuffIt that is in the
   > works. Expect to see some in the future though, since some broken
   > mac mail systems think uuencode is the cat's meow, probably because
   > they had UNIX code lying around to do it.

There are, in fact, Mac applications that do uuencode.  One is uu'er, a
small application that can uudecode and uuencode files.  I think
(although I'm not sure) that UMCP Tools will also uuencode a file.

Uu'er is much faster than other programs I have tried.

Lars

--
~ ~ | Lars Kellogg-Stedman                 | "The art of life
O-O | kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu |   is to be thought odd"
 |  +--------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
-=- |   I'm rarely responsible for what I say, do you think anybody else is?

davidl@isc.intel.com (David Levine) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan25.115338.7553@vax1.tcd.ie> dagraham@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>In article <1991Jan22.224834.23835@athena.mit.edu>, abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) writes:
>>
>> Is there uuencode/decode available for the Mac?
>
>uudecode="BinHex 4.0"
>
>BinHex and uuencode formats are (I think) the same; You can uudecode a file
>using BinHex. All the StuffIts do BinHexing and deBinHexing too, so it
>shouldn't be a problem.

This is not true.  uuencode is a completely different format from BinHex
4.0.  Both are methods to convert a binary file to a mailable text
respresentation, but the resemblance ends there.

A version of uudecode does exist for the Mac (I saw it go by on some
newsgroup or other, but I don't have it).  Versions of UnBinHex also exist
for UNIX systems, including "mcvert" and "xbin".

- David D. Levine, Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
  davidl@isc.intel.com (formerly davidl@leonardo.intel.com)
  "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."

Rick.Fallstrom@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Fallstrom) (02/26/91)

Question, where does one obtain uu'er?

     Rick Fallstrom
     (206)871-0873 (home)
     (206)476-6553 (work)

--
Rick Fallstrom - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet, reed}!glacier!busker!343!31!Rick.Fallstrom

chou@cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) (03/06/91)

In article <260.27D2EF3E@busker.fidonet.org> Rick.Fallstrom@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Fallstrom) writes:
>Question, where does one obtain uu'er?
>
>     Rick Fallstrom
>     (206)871-0873 (home)
>     (206)476-6553 (work)

I ported both uuencode and uudecode to the Mac.

(Someone else might have already done it, but I don't know who
 or how to get it)

You can ftp the package from june.cs.washington.edu [128.95.1.4]
under the directory pub/Taipei-100/UU-Mac.
If you can't ftp then send me mail.

I put the executables in one stuffit file and binhex'ed it.
I also put the source code for THINK C.
It uses the standard Mac dialog box to prompt for file name.
Otherwise, everything else is the same.
Enjoy

Pai Chou
chou@june.cs.washington.edu