[comp.sys.mac.system] Re : running out of finder memory.

pas1@unhd.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) (03/06/91)

-->In article <1991Mar4.001031.2587@bpdsun1.uucp> rmf@bpdsun1.uucp
-->(Rob Finley) writes:
-->>While using Multifinder with 5Meg physical ram and system 6.0,
-->> I keep runninout of finder memory.
-->>
-->>How can I make it bigger?
-->>
-->
-->Open the System Folder.
-->Locate the file called Finder
-->Click once on the icon for Finder
-->Select Get Info from the File menu
-->Change the Application Memory allocation in the lower right corner
-->Close the Get Info window
-->Restart your Mac
-->
-->300K seems to work for hard drives up to 120MB.

Not quite.  You need to start up with a different system disk (one other
than your normal startup volume) so that you can make the above change.
Otherwise, the finder can not be changed because it is being used by the
volume to be changed.

Hope this helped...

Paul A. Simoneau
pas1@unhd.unh.edu
University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH, USA

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.201626.19003@unhd.unh.edu> pas1@unhd.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) writes:
-->> I keep runninout of finder memory.
-->>How can I make it bigger?
-->>
-->Open the System Folder.
-->Click once on the icon for Finder
-->Select Get Info from the File menu
-->Change the Application Memory allocation in the lower right corner
-->Restart your Mac

>Not quite.  You need to start up with a different system disk (one other
>than your normal startup volume) so that you can make the above change.
>Otherwise, the finder can not be changed because it is being used by the
>volume to be changed.

No; the Mac is smart enough to deal with this.  You can set whatever
application size you like on the Finder, but it won't take effect
until the next restart.  You don't need to boot from another system to
modify it.

300k seems to be plenty of room for most purposes.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) (03/06/91)

This is Re: running out of finder memory, particularly Re: comment
given by Paul A. Simoneau (pas1@unhd.enh.edu).

1. Choosing Finder icon in the system folder, doing cmnd-I,
   and modifying the application memory size there from 160 K
   (which I think is default) is something bigger....

   This _DOES_ work on system 6.0.x.  You don't have to boot
   the Mac off a different volume, say, a floppy disk.

2. The same procedure does _NOT_ work on system 7.0b1.
   In this case, you need to boot the system from a floppy disk
   if you want to change the finder memory size for the one
   that sits on the hard disk.   Paul's comment applies here,
   (but not with sys 6).

3. I don't know how it will be like in system 7.0b4 and the
   system 7 final.

   - Nobu Toge (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center)
   - Factual observations made by me or my personal opinions only.
   - My employer, or Stanford University, or U.S. Dep't of Energy
   - are not related.

jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (03/06/91)

In article <6890@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>In article <1991Mar5.201626.19003@unhd.unh.edu> pas1@unhd.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) writes:
>-->> I keep runninout of finder memory.
>-->>How can I make it bigger?
>-->>
>-->Open the System Folder.
>-->Click once on the icon for Finder
>-->Select Get Info from the File menu
>-->Change the Application Memory allocation in the lower right corner
>-->Restart your Mac
>>
>>Not quite.  You need to start up with a different system disk (one other
>>than your normal startup volume) so that you can make the above change.
>>Otherwise, the finder can not be changed because it is being used by the
>>volume to be changed.
>
>No; the Mac is smart enough to deal with this.  You can set whatever
>application size you like on the Finder, but it won't take effect
>until the next restart.  You don't need to boot from another system to
>modify it.

I believe that under early versions of Multifinder you did in fact have to
boot from another system in order to change the Finder's partition size.
Kudos to Apple for removing that restriction.  Now if only you could change
the partition size of any application while it is open.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145